Adrenal Insufficiency Community
Guide

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Adrenal Insufficiency.

Guide

My latest blood work shows - Foolicle stimulating hormone 19 IU/L, LH =9 IU/L, Prolactin = 17 ug/L, Testosterone 9.4 umol/L,Insulin like growth factor -1  ==86 ug/L,SHBG =25 nmol/L,   FREE Testosterone= 231 pmol/L,, Albumin 37 g/L, Hemoglobin 129 g/L.  Hematocrit = 0.39 L/L, RBC =4.2 10E12/L, MCV= 93 fL,  MCHC= 334 g/L, RDW = 12.5% , Platelet== 236,  WBC =7.2 10E9/L,Neutrophil=3.2 10E9/L,  Lymphocyte = 3.3 10E9/L,,    Monocyte =0.5 10E9/L,, Eosinophil= 0.1 10E9/L. Besophil== 0.0 10E9/L,  DHEAS =1.0 umol/L,
Please guide Sir, what can be done.
Regards.
Kuldip from Calgary
It is very difficult to know anything based on what you posted.

First, lab ranges even for the different labs in the US differ so without ranges - have no idea if you are low, high or normal.

Second - no idea if you are sick or how you are sick. The tests run are not really run for adrenal except DHEA (and that is really more of an adrogen - e.g. it converts to testosterone and estrogen) so not sure why it belongs in this forum. Normally the tests here would be along the lines of cortisol and ACTH etc.

Oh and I am a girl... LOL...
You may be correct.Question is related to different hormone levels, my mistake that did not mention for low or high levels-
IGF-1 was showing Low, FSH, LH, PROLACTIN shows as High, DHEAS shows as low, Testosterone free and total are normal, SHBG shows normal.
Any way you can please guide.  
Low growth hormone should mean more testing - however, insurance in the US (and I assume elsewhere) will not pay on the IGF-1 test as growth hormone pulses so you can take it at different times and it would be different so you have to have several tests to show low and then a stimulation test in order to get medication. I take it myself. GH should also be tested at least once just for source. GH is what the pituitary puts out, and IGF-1 is what the body uses after the liver takes the GH and converts the GH for the body to use - hence the IGF-1 is more accurate to use (kinda like testing the thyroid levels and not TSH grrrr).

FSH and LH are androgens - it is rather strange to me that those are high while the others are normal (except DHEA) as all that works in a feedback loop so you would except FSH and LH to be higher with the others to be lower. DHEA is produced in the adrenals but converts to testosterone and estrogen.

Prolactin can indicate a pituitary tumor called a prolactinoma. It should be ruled out. Prolactin can be raised by other things - even thyroid - and some certain medications - so you have to be evaluated carefully for the cause.

Does that help?
Thanks a lot for so much informative reply. In Canada it takes so long to reach on some proper level of treatment. See if you can name few of tests/investigations which can be done, in ultra sound tests are shown small, hypodense and mottled texture. worried.
Does low IGF-1 is concerning to liver problem ?
Ultrasound of what?

Low IGF-1 is more indicative, IMHO, of low growth hormone and of a pituitary issue. Also the elevated prolactin.  Not knowing any symptoms - my next advice would be for you to get a pituitary MRI (dynamic pituitary MRI - with and without contrast, with contrast given during the MRI, not pulled out).

And you should have all the tests repeated - with more pituitary and hormone tests added in - cortisol, ACTH, GH, and the ones you had before, as well as a CMP - comprehensive metabolic panel.