How to get in to see an endocrinologist
I have been dealing with some type of adrenal insufficiency/ metabolic disorder for a couple of weeks. This is the third time that I have had such severe symptoms. Symptoms include: shaking upon falling asleep, having terrible shakiness upon waking, night sweats, blood pressure drops, a feeling of malaise, kidney/ urinary trouble, paresthesia, numbness in my left toe foot, cold hand (only my right?), digestion trouble, pins and needle feelings on bottom of foot, these "spells" will come and go daily. No rhyme or reason.
I saw an endo in town to no avail he just wishes to send me back to the neurologist, which I am planning to go again mid March, and do the other test he recommended in 2009- a spinal tap.
In the mean time, I really want to go to another endo for a second opinion, more in depth look at things. When I called to schedule at Vanderbilt I cannot get an appointment- WITHOUT A DIAGNOSIS!???!
What to do from here?  Any suggestions??? Are all endos this way? I am at a loss.
Sadly, it is difficult to get in to see a specialist at a university without a basis to see them - they need an MRI or some tests to show that the appointment is necessary.

Your PCP can run the sodium and aldosterone testing as well as basic sodium and potassium testing.
Pins and needles - check calcium, magnesium and other minerals.

As much as it bites, I went through tons of testing that I frankly knew I did not need but at least I had it under my belt so that when a doc later said oh it is XYZ I could say I had it tested here is the copy it was negative. I even went to counseling (who told me I was not depressed) just to get the doctors to move on.

But it does pay to get the testing done. First, you may uncover something and second, it can support a diagnosis either by absence or presence of something. I have been so pokes and prodded... when anyone talks about a test it is frankly odd that I have not had it.
My experience has been the same with all of the endo's that I saw and fired.  My cortisol was flatlined, couldn't walk, tendons tearing and they did nothing.  I saw 17 specialists for a neuro-oncologist diagnosed the adrenal problem and she was really outdone with the local endo's....she had to send me out of state for adequate care.  Thankfully I can function again.
In order to see a neuro-endo (which I highly recommend in many of my posts) you need at least some tests that point to a pituitary or complex endocrine issue.

I also went out of state. Go figure.