Adrenal Insufficiency Community
Hydrocortisone, Prednisone. Which one?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Adrenal Insufficiency.

Hydrocortisone, Prednisone. Which one?

I've been trying a natural treatment for my AI which is drinking a half teaspoon of Sodium Bicarbonate 3 times a day and eliminating all foods containing high levels of potassium.  I can certainly tell a difference in my anxiety and mind clarity as well as the body aches and pains seem to be getting better.  I dont think this particular treatment is going to get me back to normal but it is a good start.  

I also had 20 10mg Prednisone tablets left over from from a script my allergist gave me so last Thursday I took one tablet in the morning and have been suffering ever since.  WIthin 1 hour I was experiencing severe abdominal cramps, dizziness and have been constipated ever since.

Has anyone else reacted to Prednisone in this way?  Is Hydrocortisone the same as Prednisone?  I'm terrified they are similar and I wont be able to take either.
Well, I guess you are addressing some of the salt-wasting issues of AI... I take salt tablets (plain salt) to help my blood pressure - I don't avoid potassium or recommend it unless you are sick. That is when the spike occurs. Your body needs it to function.

Pred is a powerful medication and 10mg tablets are twice a replacement dose - in other words, a normal replacement dose of prednisone would be 5mg and roughly equal to 20mg hydrocortisone. That being said, if you consult a steroid calculator (you can search for one or I put one in the health pages) you will see pred is a medium to long lasting corticosteroid - HC is a short acting one - less side effects. HC is also more like what the body makes.

I must say though most people get anxiety and all - take the pred with FOOD to help with the stomach issues - I think the pill bottle says to do that!!

HC says to take with food but the small replacement doses are optional unless your stomach is super sensitive.
Is there a conncection to high potassium and adrenal fatigue?  The reason I ask is anytime I eat a food that is high in potassium I break out in a cold sweat, anxiety goes through the roof, I get dizzy and lightheaded and I experience all kinds of body aches and pain.  Its to the point now that I'm affriad to eat anything.  
Perhaps the issue is in the renin/aldosterone axis  (not the HPA) as that controls the potassium? How is your blood pressure?
Blood pressure is ALWASY near perfect....it won't move 3-4 points either way.  With the internet people like me think we are doctors but of the research I've done I would agree with the Aldosterone issue also.  If I eat anything that is high in potassium I suffer dearly for most of the day and potassium is in everything.  I just have to make sure that what I eat is low in potassium.  If I am able to get this Aldosterone issue under control will I be able to eat bananas again?
No idea on the bananas - but you need a good endo for the renin/aldosterone issues. Some cardio docs may cover it as well.