Adrenal Insufficiency Community
Is a morning cortisol level of 8.8 too low or normal?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Adrenal Insufficiency.

I have had many symptoms of Adrenal Insufficiency for about 7 months. I just had my cortisol level checked for the first time and it was 8.8 ug/dl at 8:25 AM. It is in the "normal" range (3.7 to 19.4 ug/dl before 10AM) and my doctor didn't seem concerned. Nevertheless, there are a lot of resources on the internet that seem to suggest this level is too low. Could someone help shed light on the topic? Is it too low or is it normal? I am new to this and it is confusing. Thank you for any help you can give!
Tags: cortisol
It is in the normal range. One test however is not sufficient for diagnosis of AI. And one would not (or should not ) be put on replacements without more testing and a stimulation test.

If you have symptoms, then the doctor should keep testing - and as well test ACTH, adrenal antibodies, renin, aldosterone, sodium, potassium etc. Are you seeing an endo?
Thank you. No, I'm not seeing an endo, but I might look for one. If someone has adrenal insufficiency and a cortisol level similar to mine, please let me know.
I don't know what lab did your testing, but I just had a metabolic work-up with LabCorp doing the testing and they show a normal range of 6.2 - 19.4 ug/dL for an AM test (when your cortisol level is supposed to be at its highest.
If you don't mine my asking, have you had your thyroid tested?  Hypothyroidism has many symptoms similar to adrenal insufficiency.  Whatever the case, it sounds like you need to have a complete metabolic panel & ACTH test.  Best of luc and please keep us posted.  Terri
That cortisol AM range should be rechecked that range is so broad. I consider it in normal-low.
Thank you for your comments. My thyroid was tested and seems okay. It is looking like I might have primary hyperparathyroidism though. My calcium has been higher than the normal range for at least 8 months and my PTH is too high for my age and higher than the normally accepted range. My endocrinologist wants to make sure that I don't have adrenal insuficiency, though. She is running some more tests. It is crazy how so many of these conditions have the same symptoms.
Did you find out if you're lab results indicate AI? My labs showed me to have the same am blood cortisol number as yours (8.8 uh/ dl.) This was my blood cortisol baseline before my ACTH test. 30 minutes after the injection, my blood Cortisol went up to 40. Over 4x the baseline. Any feedback is greatly appreciated since I won't see my endo for 3 weeks .
They didn't seem to think AI was the problem. It seems like I have a moderate to severe migraine condition without headache that causes a lot of my symptoms. Best wishes!
Do you get occular migraines without headaches?     I started getting these about 24 years ago---scared me to death until I finally found out what they were.   I get a blind spot and can see nothing in that area for while, but I don't get a headache.  Nothing much I can do but wait for it to pass.  I have a set of twins that gets them also, and just this last month my 15 yr old son started getting them and also my 13 year old daughter started getting them, however, she seems to get a very bad headache with the vision loss.  Seems to run in our family.  

I get headaches almost daily, but they are not connected to the optical problems.
In the past few months I have been getting actual headaches occasionally which are mild to moderate. For almost a year, though, I would get no headache at all. I thought there was really something wrong with my vision and went to the ER a couple times. I have significant double vision and feel really weird under certain circumstances, like looking at a tv screen for too long. Good luck dealing with it. It seems like dark, quiet rooms really help. Sometimes I would put a cool washcloth over my eyes and just rest until it felt better.
Hello, have them check your vitamin D level, My pth level was through the roof and my vitamin D level was really low. I was started on 50,000IU of vit D and my PTH level came back to normal.