Adrenal Insufficiency Community
Is it OK to treat for hypothyroidism before treating for adrenal fatigu...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Adrenal Insufficiency.

Is it OK to treat for hypothyroidism before treating for adrenal fatigue?

My doctor wants to put me on synthroid, although I have most symptoms of adrenal fatigue as well.  We're waiting for 24-hr cortisol results.  She still wants to put me on synthroid first.  Can't that hurt the adrenals even more?
Depending on your severity of the hypothyroidism I would look at trying to get the adrenals up and going first.

Adrenal fatigued and thyroid issues mock each other with symptoms in many cases, so it very difficult to tell if the issues are stemming from the adrenals or the thyroid.

Thanks for the post.
I technically haven't been diagnosed with hypothyroidism; my dr said my antibodies of 194 meant I will probably get Hashimoto's and since I've had hypothyroid symptoms all my adult life, she wants to put me on synthroid now.  All thyroid tests have come back normal, including Free T4 and T3 and Reverse T3.
But, the chronic, sever stress I've been under this past year or so have add almost every adrenal fatigue symptom I've found listed in books or the Internet, and my hypothyroid symptoms have become more intense.  
I think I should fix my adrenals first and then see what kind of hypoth. symptoms remain.
Thanks again for the post.
Jane
Stress will knock a bunch of hormones out for sure, and adrenals are they stress conductor.

Those "fight or flight" glands will over compensate in "crises" and can definately hault proper function of the body when they are stressed out.

I good thing to do is take a step back and re evaluate yourself and your stress levels. Try to eliminate as much as you can when seeking treatment to repair them.

Do you have a doctor working with you on adrenal support and supplements?
Not yet.  My doctor is waiting for the saliva tests results to see if there are any problems with my adrenals, although I've had adrenal fatigue symptoms for some months now.  New symptoms appeared a couple of months ago and now I can't work at all.

Hopefully, the saliva tests results will be available next week.  The dr.  will start me on a treatment program, I think, if I show adrenal fatigue.
But I'm still concerned about the dr. wanting to put me on synthroid or Armour for my thyroid before getting back all the test results.  I just came from another website that said to get the adrenals in shape first before tackling the thyroid problems.
Yes but some like me don't have that option. You see, I had RAI to knock out my thyroid completely, so I need to take thyroid medication and repair my adrenals at the same time.

I'd die without my Armour right now.

I believe there has to be a balance to repair both adrenals and thyroid together or people like me would never get well.

For me - I know it took longer to get my adrenals kick'n again and I had some rough spots doing it with my Armour, but now that time and proper treatment has kicked in I am now doing wonderful.
Glad to hear you're doing well.
I don't know what RAI is (sorry).

Re: thyroid vs. adrenal treatment--I've read that adrenal problems can affect the thyroid's ability to function properly.  And treating the thyroid could aggravate an existing adrenal problem.

I see why you didn't have an option for treatment and am happy it has turned out so well for you!
I thought I would add my 2 cents worth here.

Your dr says you do not have hypothyroidism. But it sounds like you have a good dr that will treat you based on symptoms instead of lab values. That is a plus.

Do you have all the numbers and ranges? If not, I would recommend that you ask for a copy of your labs each time you have them done. The ranges for hypoT are varied from one dr to the other, basically. Plus it is a good idea to be "in the know" about these things, not just hear "they are fine."

I would wait for the cortisol test to get back and see what is going on there. Sometimes if the adrenals can be brought back into proper function, then the thyroid will start "playing purty" again. That is my opinion here, but I think the main thing is to go with your instincts.

Let us know the results and I hope the best for you.
Thanks, Peggy.  I think you're right about getting the adrenals back in order first.
(I have copies of all my lab results going back for years).

My doctor just called.  The saliva tests show low cortisol, but she doesn't have the graph of the 24-hr levels yet.  My norepinephrine levels are very, very high, which explains the anxiety.  My serotonin levels are a bit low.
The dr said that when cortisol levels are low, the norepinephrine is put out (also by the adrenals) to either help/get the adrenals to work.
Anyway, she just got the results and will be calling me to set up an appt.
I have to say I'm happy the tests showed something.  I knew in my gut there was a physical reason for all my problems.  Hopefully, she'll get me on a treatment plan and I'll feel better.
What did they do to treat you?
She may not respond to a 4 year old post - but we shall see...