Adrenal Insufficiency Community
Is there something else besides HC I can take?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Adrenal Insufficiency.

I had to stop taking HC due to having severely bad reactions to it (within minutes of taking it, I'd get extremely dizzy, like my brain was inflammed, and I'd have chest pains and my left arm would feel weird). So since my cortisol is still low in the morning and other times of the day, is there anything else I can take? I looked up Isocort and the brand Bezwecken, contains cellulose which I'm allergic to.

There are tons of corticosteroids.

The issue is long acting vs short acting. I would speak to a pharmacist and find out your options. The biggest issue is that if you have to take steroids over time, the longer acting ones tend to have more side effects and they are hidden. They are much easier to take - once a day dosing! But in a few years depending on sensitivity to steroids which is not currently predictable, issues may arise with bones etc.

There is prednisone, dexamethasone, and variations on them. Ask about cortisocosteroids - going from short acting to long acting. In an emergency though, you will need short acting in the form of an injection. You also have the option of using the shots daily.
ChitChatNine 's ear surgery for kitty ag... Comment
Aug 28
Jade59 commented on photo
Aug 25