Adrenal Insufficiency Community
Low cortisol treatment

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Adrenal Insufficiency.

Low cortisol treatment

Started a new question since it had been a few days and I didn't have lab normals.  I have a low cortisol 8am 3.6 ug/dl (8.7-22.4) 4pm cortisol was 6.2 (<10.0ug/dl).  How do I increase this so I can feel better.  Could this affect my thyroid too?  My T3, free is 2.75 (1.8-4.20pg/ml), (was 4.01 5/08) TSH is 0.661 (0.40-4.40 ulU/mL) (was 1.19 5/08), my free T4 low at 0.77 (0.80-1.80 ng/dl)  (0.83 previously) Any help would be greatly appreciated!  Karen
What has the dr said about this? your cortisol levels are low, and it appears you need some treatment for it.

What are your symptoms?
  Not one of the docs has said anything about treating the low cortisol.  One doctor said the free T4 might be low d/t infection and I am supposed to get it retested in a month.  
  About 2 1/2  years ago I lost 50 pounds quickly without trying.  I kept it off for way over a year, but now I am gaining weight and there is no way to stop it.  Some is from edema.  I am extremly fatiqued and trying to get going in the morning is awful!  I also have unrefreshed sleep no matter how long or how good I sleep.  I feel rundown and overwhelmed. I have a lot of edema, especially in the morning.  I hurt constantly, but it is worse in the am and if I have to set still for a while.  There's more, but that is enough!  Thanks for your help.  Karen
good luck on finding a doc to treat it. This is something you are going to have to research and treat yourself. I hate to tell you that, but from all my reading, that is most peoples experience.
I recently did a saliva test.  This was after being diagnosed with Hypothyroidism about 3 months ago.   I have tried 3 different thyroid meds including armour, and all of them made my symptoms worse.   I did some research which said if thyroid meds make your symptoms worse, it could be that the adrenals are fatigued.   The lab that did test noted that because my both my DHEA and my Cortisol were both very very low, this indicated adrenal fatigue although it could not be ruled out that Hypothyroidism may be causing the condition.    I took the results to my doc.   She seemed puzzled by the saliva test and I told her that I realize that most of the medical community does not recognize any insufficiency in  the adrenals until it is full blown Addison's.    She nodded yes, but said she would do some more blood work and see what we could come up with.    I will call next week to see.   .......BUT the amazing thing is, I bought a bottle of trace minerals and (more easily absorbed) and some adrenal extract (a very reputable brand).   I have been taking this for two days and there results are amazing so far.   ... I have not hurt all over the last two mornings when I got up.  I feel like I have more strength in my muscles, and I am not not nearly as stiff when I get up after sitting for a while.   .. Wow..  I am keeping my fingers crossed that I have found the right formula for myself, because I didn't get a warm and fuzzy feeling that my doc was going to do anything about the adrenals yet anyway..  
Thanks for the reply. Did you get the adrenal extract from a health food store?  Let us know if you get anywhere with your doc.  
What kind of trace mineral and adrenal extract are you usint?
It was stormy06 that was taking the supplements.  I don't know.
I have low cortisol thru the day and too high at night. I have known for about a year that I had adrenal fatique but just did the saliva test recently. I followed Dr. Wilson's Adrenal Fatigue Diet, it helped quite a bit. I have done tons of research trying to figure this out. In the last few months I had extreme issues with electrolyte balance and low blood sugar even though I felt better. Thru trial and error, I had quit drinking tea in the evenings and felt better, tried to include it a couple weeks later, felt really bad. Did this 4 times with different tea, black, green, decaf, twig tea, same results. I have had pain for 11 years, all over body pain that has been getting worse every year. So I quit the tea completely and the pain went away. It takes 1 solid week to clear out the effects from the tea, also includes wine (but no pain with wine just mushy thinking from 1 glass). Too much to describe here but I am fairly certain it has to do with the polyphenols in the tea and wine. Look that up in wikipedia.
These powerful anti-oxidants all lower blood sugar and various hormones, some create nitric oxide. According to medical information they should all be good for us, that is good for people with high blood sugar, high blood pressure, high cholesterol. I am at the opposite end (hypo) of the spectrum and my theory is that without the effects of high cortisol and it's problems that these antioxidants are too strong as there is nothing to resist it. I now feel better than I have felt in about 15 years. No pain, blood sugar is stabilizing again, sinuses are clearing out, strength is returning, I can drink water without peeing all the time and ending up in a worse place and more. I'm not out of the woods yet but moving forward by leaps and bounds finally. This is not on the radar of the medical community, I have spent years researching and never found this connection to polyphenols mentioned anywhere. There is a data base called phenol explorer that I used to find the foods with the high values. Tea and chocolate are high in epicatechin. Good luck, give it a try.
Hi dfpv
have you fixed your low cortisol problem?
My issue is I have very high Cortisol (above normal range) but very low free cortisol. Has anybody got this?This all started after using SawPalmetto for few months. My all hormones are messed up. My total and free Testosterone is very low too. Any body can contact me at sp1at live.ca
Elevated cortisol is Cushing's syndrome. It can and does mess up other hormones.