Adrenal Insufficiency Community
New to addisons

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Adrenal Insufficiency.

New to addisons

hi I am 22 years old and was just diagnosed with addisons disease or adrenal insufficiency(both similiar)

I spent 3 days in the hospital fightinig shock and severe low blood pressre and potassium, now i'm on 30mg of prednisone and 0.1mg of the florinef(sp?)  I'm kind if discouraged because I HATE the side effects of steroids, they were supossed to be until my asthma cleared up :(

any ideas or encouragement?
  Prednisone is rough on your body, and can be dangerous. Can your doctor switch you to hydrocortisone instead? You have to take it more often, but it's much safer to use.
The florinef is for salt balance. Very important med. for low sodium.

How long ago were you hospitalized? It can take weeks for your body to adjust to the hormonal changes after starting the med. Your labs may be good, but your symptoms say otherwise!

Do you have digestive problems?  Healing your digestive tract should lessen some of your symptoms. For instance, vitamin B5 is very important to proper adrenal function, and also helps with intestinal healing. You will need supplements of calcium, zinc, and vitamins A, C, B6, and D, because steroids rob your body of these nutrients. You might have symptoms that eventually turn out to be vitamin deficiencies. Regular testing for this is important.
Digestive enzymes will be beneficial as well.

Keep us posted whenever you have questions. Someone here may just have the answer you need.

Enzy
Can it mess with your bladder?  I just got out of the hospital Sunday and now i'm home with a catheter...
  It can "mess" with your water balance, but I'm not aware of any direct effect on the bladder. It's most likely a temporary problem from being hospitalized. Your doctor should advise you on this.  :)
i'm back again after being hospitalized for 10 days with a small bowel obstruction and low potassium that resulted in a seizure. I cant' seem to get ontop of this addisons.  
Are you taking enough salt? Enough fluids?
Addison's means that you are not holding on the sodium - thus messing with the sodium/potassium balance.
Usually, this means sodium drops and potassium rises, however there are some addies that have it where both drop - and both situations are dangerous. Like you, my K drops too when I get sick. So now that you now, when you start to feel crappy, you need to add high sodium and high potassium foods or drinks - I go for v8.

The pred is going to mess you up as it is a long acting steroid and you will not sleep well. So just take it easy - and roll with the punches for now, take care of yourself.

Get salt tablets too - I prefer the unbuffered - so it helps keep your sodium up.
my daughter is now being schecked for addisons disease she has alot of the symptoms but is waiting on bloodwork and a catscan. my real question is she is worried about being able to control the disease and being able to have children does the disease decrease your chances of pregnancy that seems to be one of her biggest fears because she is only 23 i would appreciate any advice and answers that anyone can give me                                                                                          lynette
Controlling the disease is a lifestyle change and managing medications. As long as you are committed, educated and educate those around you in case you have a crisis so they can act fast - you should be fine.

The disease itself does not effect fertility. However, stress on the body makes the person a lot more vulnerable. So she can have kids it just is a more high risk situation.

I hope she has a good doctor - a CT scan is not often used in the diagnosis (and may be normal for the adrenals, or may read them as small) as it is only blood work that can diagnose this disorder. It may happen that the source is pituitary and in that case a pituitary MRI is needed - a CT cannot see the pituitary well. The stimulation test is the final test needed for the diagnosis.

Careful monitoring, an emergency kit, a medic alert bracelet and knowing her body (she has to learn a new one) and how to stress dose is what she is going to have to learn.