Adrenal Insufficiency Community
Replacement after adrenalectomy
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Adrenal Insufficiency.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Replacement after adrenalectomy

I have three questions I hope you can shed some light upon. Thank you in advance for your patience and that you share so much knowledge.

Please recall that I have a 4+/- cm adrenal tumor found incidentally.

The first question is this:

1) tests so far show hypercortisolism, however I have not received the result of (2) 11pm salivary swabs, so I don't know if I show a normal diurnal pattern. If my 11pm salivary cortisol results ARE normal, what weight does that carry in the whole picture. ?

2) How strong is the influence of high estrogen on cortisol level? I know that high estrogen causes a high cortisol level in a ""normal"" female, but would that influence still exist following dexamethasone suppression?

3) If I have a left adrenal tumor that is independently secreting cortisol, its almost certain that my right adrenal is near to, or completely non-functioning. So I understand the need to replace cortisol for several months after adrenalectomy and taper slowly down to stimulate the right adrenal to start functioning again.

Whew, finally, my 3rd question is: since the adrenal gland (cortex and medulla) secretes much more than cortisol, would I not also need to replace everything it secretes if my remaining gland is non-functioning???? ie. aldosterone, DHEA, other androgens????

Your thoughts are appreciated.