Adrenal Insufficiency Community
Sea salt

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Adrenal Insufficiency.

Sea salt

Hi everyone
Upon learning that I have adrenal fatigue my doc showed me that I have no salt and he suggested that I drink warm water and sea salt daily. My problem is that this seems to be making my eyes really puffy, which is something I do not want! Does this mean I am taking too much salt or not enough?
  Possibly too much. Salt must be balanced with potassium, and adrenal fatigue can cause severe imbalance of many minerals.
How was your adrenal fatigue diagnosed? Saliva test? More testing might be beneficial to better treatment.
Sorry, I just realized we've talked before, and I asked you the same thing!
You made need to take Florinef if your adrenal problem is serious enough. This med is specific to the hormone that is suppressed from the adrenals, that causes the sodium loss. Ask your doc about it.
Hi EL
Thanks for answering. In the Stim test my aldosterone level was at 44 before the stimulation, then 28.8 after. He said that because of that I should take sea salt every day. However, in the blood tests my potassium and sodium levels were okay. I definitely have low blood pressure. I also seem to have a problem with facial puffiness in general and I retain water in the face, it seems. Would the florinef make that worse?
I am leaning towards either the sea salt you are using is bleached and is causing you to imbalance out of some magnesium  issues

I agree with enzy that you talk to your doctor - but checking out that magnesium thought may be good to do.

Some excerpts from "Beating Lyme Disease" by David A. Jernigan, Ph.D. :

"According to a study by the CDC the number of Americans with low iodine has quadrupled in the last 25 years". * (source below)

"Dr. Bernard Jenson, D.C., Ph.D., found that the iodized table salt, which is superheated so that it can pour more easily, is a poor form of iodine for the body."

* Iodine Nutrition in the United States. Trends and Public Health Implications: Iodine Excretion Data from National Health and Nutrition Examination Surveys I and III --- The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism
So can I deduce that you have low iodine if you have had Lyme Desease? I will google the site to get more information this is of interest to me as I was always uncertain regarding some symptoms that seemed like lyme, many years ago, and I was bitten by a tick.interesting

Apparently. I think many of these chronic pathogen related illnesses have a negative effect on your adrenals. And for people who have fibro & CFS... we usually pass the standard thyroid tests. But then I responded quite well to iodine !
You know, I think you might be on to something with the iodine, because I upped my sublingual iodine drops and I have been feeling better. I always hesitated to take a lot because I have read that hashimoto's thyroiditis people sometime react poorly to it.
How much iodine do you take per day? Do you have hashimoto's, too?
Liz, what kind of iodine do you take? I heard you can take the topical if you take just a few drops. Haven't tried it yet. Wanted to get more clarification on that.
Hi Peggy
I take liquid iodine by Biotics Research. My doc carries it in his office, so I am not sure if it is for sale in stores or not. I have never heard of topical iodine. Interesting. Does it work better than sublingual?

It also makes sense to me as well. Since I have CFS, I have very low blood pressure. At one time, I was adding iodized salt to my drinking water. Did that help my dry skin, dry hair and other low thyroid (undiagnosed) symptoms ? Nope !

I don't have Hashimoto's, but I do believe I have a low thyroid. It is frustrating because my TSH, T4 and T3 are all normal. But from what I'm reading, this is happening in patients who have fibro and/or CFS.
You can't swallow soldium ( topical ) iodide