Severe cramping in thighs?
For years my mother has experienced severe cramping in a number of areas. Her thighs especially, but also her feet, arms, and stomach. It happens when she does not eat enough or on time, but it seems to happen even when she does. She also says eating is the only thing that stops the cramping, but she's forced to overeat when she doesn't want to and it's making her gain weight, which is not good for her health.

I've read that low potassium can cause cramping in diabetics, so she's been eating bananas regularly, but so far it isn't helping much.

My mother is 51, diabetic, has issues with her adrenal and pituitary glands, and thyroid issues. She has to take a small dose of steroids for her adrenal problems in addition to some other medication.

More and more, I'm beginning to think this cramping is not just about her not eating enough on time, but something else... but we don't have the money to get her checked out the way she should be. The clinics are no help, they just do blood test after blood test that are of no help. Please any suggestions as to what is happening with her and how we can stop it would be very appreciated.
I am so sorry - but there is just no way we can diagnose your mom over the internet. We are patients too - and the cause for cramps can be any number of minerals or nerve issues.

It sounds like she needs a very good endo. Do you get copies of her testing? Is her potassium normal?
i think low magnesium can cause cramping--has she ever had her magnesium levels tested?   i go through stages where i get muscle cramps--mostly in the area between my neck and shoulder--but only on one side.  the most recent blood test for magnesium that has been done on me is a magnesium RBC  i'm not sure what is different about a red blood cell magnesium---does anyone know?
low pottissum as known for hypoklmaia,,if labs are below 3.5 then yes eat mostly lowfat yougart among beans are very high..but also be sure the kidneys are good!!