Adrenal Insufficiency Community
Testing low on B12

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Adrenal Insufficiency.

Testing low on B12

I don't know why my body isn't producing enough. I have been under allot of stress and constant anxiety for a few years now. The latest problem is energy and cognitive functions. I tested at 205 for B12 the doctor gave me shots which didn't help that much at first. But after the second shot I was feeling a little better. The holiday forced me to wait another two days for my third shot which brought back all the problems.I guess that proves it was helping.
I don't know how much they are giving me and I thought about taking the sub lingual version in addition. The articles I read said that you can't OD on it because it's water soluble and you will pee it out.
Anyone have any thoughts
I am only 46 years old and in relatively good shape.
There is an unusual type of Anemia called Pernicious Anemia. B12 comes from our diet. Mostly in meats. In order to convert utilize B12, you produce something called Intrinsic Factor (IF) in you small intestine. IF converts the B12 into the form that your body uses.
Without it you can actually die.Easily remedied by B12 shots. The sublingual won't do much good if you are lacking in "IF". If you have been a Vegan for 30 years or something like that then yes the sublingual tablets are fine.

Do you have any problems which your digestion that you are aware of? Chron's, IBF? Parts of your gut missing?
Horselip
You can also try B12 patches - that will bypass the digestive system and may help a bit in addition to the shots. It may take a few series of shots, over time to feel better - and you may have to keep at it to stay better. Horsey may be right about IF - did they test you for that?
I have all kinds of problems with digestion. I have an unbelievable amount of gas no matter what I eat. I have acid problems, that make me throw up bile. When I drink things with allot of sugar, like soda, I will be on the bowl within a half hour.
My daughter went to a gastroenterologist yesterday with some similar symptoms. She mentioned that some people have trouble digesting sugar from fruit (fructose). Lots  of things that are pre-sweetened have high fructose corn syrup in them. Do you get worse feelings after eating that stuff, or apples, melons and pears? If so, could be same thing.

You could ask them to check levels of methylmalonic acid and homocysteins. These two, together with B-12 levels in blood, help in diagnosing pernicious anemia. Its an autoimmune condition. Do you or anyone in family have autoimmune disorders?
OH, and do you eat meat and eggs and animal stuff or are you vegetarian/vegan?

B-12 comes mostly from animal food.

No risk I'm aware of for real overdose, but when I had more than my body needed, I got 'strong heartbeats'. Not irregular or fast, just ....strong! So I dialed it way back.

Don't give up fast on supplements..your body needs a stored supply that lasts for several years and it takes months to build it back up.

Low B-12 = Bad juju
Optimal B-12 = :>)
I typically have diarrhea especially if I drink soda or fruit juice. I complained to doctors in the past about the number of times I have to go a day. But they never tested anything.
I just found out that my testosterone is extremely low 201. This is the third test in that range. Can't imagine why I am so tired all the time. I can fall asleep at a traffic light, even after sleeping 8 hours.
I need to find a real doctor. Where is doctor House?
If you have the runs like that, you may not hold on to nutrients.
If the doc tests testosterone - what kind? total? What about anything related like estrogen (men have some too and they convert back and forth), sex binding hormone, LH, FSH, bio-available testosterone (which will test all forms of testosterone) and dhea sulfate will get most of the androgens covered.
How is your vitamin D even? Your doc, even your primary, can test you better - do you have a cooperative one?
I don't know where Dr House is but I want an appt. too!
Willy, the fructose absorption thing is not a fatal problem, but it can make you miserable if you don't know it. My daughter had to do a breath test thing for about 2-3 hours. They want to have you have an empty stomach for 12 hours before the test. Then they give you stuff loaded with fruit sugar and let you have a few hours to try to digest it. You breathe into a tube that measures hydrogen or something.

Course, you could try a 'home made' version of the test anytime at home, just not precise or official.

Fructose is sugar from fruit. If you don't digest it well, it gives you gas or bloating or stomach discomfort. But if the fructose is mixed with glucose (some fruit is like that), then its' much less problematic, cuz the glucose helps 'hide' the fructose and it does get absorbed.

So it's any mix of fructose and glucose that's more than 50% fructose you could have trouble with. The fruits on the 'bad' list are: melons, apples and pears.

So....if I wanted to know....and Dr. House wasn't returning my calls....I'd get an empty stomach for 12 hours and then eat me a big fruit salad with nothing but...melons, apples and pears!! If you feel sick, you got good reason to bug your doctor to test for sure. If you love it and want more and feel good, it's not very likely you got this problem.

And then you can finish all the fruit salad!!!!

;)
If you are still having problems with fatigue and cognative functions, maybe you could ask your doctor to check your cortisol levels. I was diagnosed with a b-12 deficiency in august of this year, for 4 months I take shots once a week and  a multivitamin, it has b-12, 2000mcg's of a b-12 suppliment and a d suppliment, when my fatigue had not gotten any better and my cognative functions were still as bad I read a few things online about adrenal fatigue then asked my doctor to check me for it, low and behold my cortisol levels are low. with the way you state you feel it may be worth getting tested for. there is a story I found online for something to look into www.********************.com/stories-of-others/phils-story  hope this helps.