Adrenal Insufficiency Community
Too sensitive for remedies?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Adrenal Insufficiency.

Too sensitive for remedies?

Hi everyone,

I most likely have adrenal insufficiency.  I have been told this by an alternative practitioner and I have all of the symptoms.  This week I tried to take Armour thyroid for my hypothyroid issue, but reacted strongly to it.

One of my main health issues is that I am intolerant to a significant amount of foods, fluids, vitamins, supplements, and medications.  My doctors don't know what to do with my anymore since I react to everything.  I probably wouldn't be able to handle cortisol at all, and I'm not even sure if I could do DHEA.  Licorice has been a problem for me in the past as well as B-vitamin complex.

I am at my wit's end.  Has anyone had an experience like this or have any words of wisdom?  I've never met anyone like myself and evidently neither have any of my doctors.

Thank you so much,
Shawna
   Generally speaking, it's a good idea to have an adrenal function test before starting any thyroid treatment. If you do have adrenal insufficiency, taking thyroid med. can precipitate an adrenal crisis in some people. This can be dangerous.
If you are on adrenal support first (you may need hydrocortisone), then you may be fine with the Armour,depending on your dose.

I would recommend getting a gastrointestinal function test. You may have "leaky gut" syndrome if you are intolerant to so many things.
Taking the appropriate digestive enzyme blend with everything you eat can really be a big help.
Also, an IgG antibody test to find out exactly which foods to stay away from, until your intestinal tract heals.  Discuss this with your practitioner and see what he\she says.
There is so much that can be done now to help relieve these problems.

Enzy
Thanks for the response, Enzy.  I have taken a GI test and I do know that I have some level of leaky gut.  However, I have reacted to every enzyme combination I have tried and I generally just avoid all of those foods anyway.

I do agree that it is important to test the adrenals, so I plan on doing the saliva test.

My concern now is that I will react to the hydrocortisone, DHEA, etc.  I suppose I won't know until I try, but I'm wondering if anyone else has had or heard of this kind of thing.

Shawna

What kind of reactions do you have to supplements and medications? Perhaps you have a blocked detoxification pathway, so all the stuff you take is overloading your system, even in small amounts. Have you had a liver function test or an organic acids test? This test may show you exactly where you are having a problem.
It totally depends on the supplement or medication.  I generally tend to have a reverse reaction as in it does the opposite of what it is supposed to do.  So, on the thyoid med I ended up feeling extremely fatigued along with other classic 'hypo' symptoms.

I have done tons of cleansing in the past, but nothing ever really sticks.  I'm pretty sure now it's because my body is still constantly reacting to everything.