Adrenal Insufficiency Community
What happens during an ACTH stimulation test?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Adrenal Insufficiency.

My endocrinologist suspects something is wrong with my adrenal gland, and my cortisol is low. I have my first ACTH stimulation test scheduled for Tuesday, and I'm a little nervous. I was wondering what kind of reactions everyone else had during their test. Thanks:)
In general, most people do not have much of a reaction except for some flushing or some feel cold.
A few people may get some nausea.
They should be monitoring you during the test so if anything happens, they will know quickly.
Good luck and hope it goes well!
Thank you, I know sometimes it's a bad idea to look things up online. I was reading horror stories about what happened to people during their ACTH stimulation test. Thankfully, I only got a stomache for about 4 mintues.

The doctor called this moring to say that my cortisol levels were normal. (I don't know what the actual numbers were.)  But she wants to wait for the rest of my tests to come back before deciding the next step.
Ah yes well you can find the worst of the worst if you look, but in general that is not the norm... glad you were ok.

Do get a copy it really helps to know actual numbers of all the tests.
definitely get a copy---sometimes i think that a lot of the endos are not the brightest when it comes to things involving the endocrine system---yes, i know it is supposed to be their "specialty"  but i don't think that really means much of anything when it comes to this area.  endocrine issues can be tricky--and alot of the endos do not keep up to date on the best ways to practice their profession, sad to say.   besides, i have decided it is just a good idea to get copies of any and all tests and doctors notes that you can---keep your own personal medical file.

I don't remember my stim test bothering me at all--guesds i never read up onit before i had it done---so i wasn't aware of any horror stories!!

here's an example of why having a copy of the test is good.  some docs look for the baseline to double, some are looking for it to get at least to 20.  i showed a copy of my test to my family doc and he glanced at the original level and at the numbers for each draw and told me the test was normal.   my cortisol started out really low---2.4  (bottom of range was 5)  if you are really low, the numbers will sometimes quadruple or more.  my first draw was 9.6--so that looked good--but the second draw was only 11.3.  below the test numbers, the test clearly stated that it was looking for a level over 20.  if my doc had taken the time to read the whole test instead of just glance at the numbers, he would have seen that my test was showing secondary adrenal insufficiency.  fortunately, he waqsn't treating me, but i had shown him the test---so it didn't matter what he thought!!!
sky1414 commented on Do You Sleep Like A R...
Michelle_Mimi commented on An Insider’s Guide to...
Jul 28
vivi6121 commented on The Turbinates: What ...
Jul 26