Adrenal Insufficiency Community
What is Normal Ranges for Cortisol, Serum Test

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Adrenal Insufficiency.

My result came back very normal, but I don't even know what is normal. Does anyone know the ranges for normal for a blood test for Cortisol, Serum (ug/dL).  Mine was 16.3 at 1pm in the afternoon.
I'm having severe symptoms that are affecting my day to day functioning and growing more constant now and I need to be my own doctor and try to figure out what could be wrong with me.  A year ago I was diagnosed with a Benign
(Adrenal adenoma) spot in my Adrenal.  Can you help?  Just really curious as to what the test results mean.
Is 16.3 very normal for afternoon?  Does anyone know??
Thank you kindly,
Susan
Normal values are as follows:  (per Quest)

ACTH, plasma                      5-27 pg/mL
Cortisol, AM                         4.0-22.0 mcg/dL
Cortisol, urine                       4.0-50.00 mcg/24 h
Insulin, Fasting                     0.0-17.0 uIU/mL

No endocrinologist will base a diagnosis on a random cortisol since your cortisol levels change periodically during the day.

The true levels are to be taken before 9 am.

ACTH is produced in the pituitary and stand for "adrenocorticotropic hormone" and directly effects probably every cell in your body, have a direct impact on your blood vessels and blood pressure.

Adrenal glands produce cortisol.

Pancrease produces insulin.

If your AM cortisols are way below normal it's called Addison's Disease; too high is called Cushings Syndrome.  They are treated very differently.

Let me give you a kind of down and dirty idea of what happens... believe me it's more complicated than this, but we'll try....

Let's say you eat some sugar, your pancreas produces insulin to break it down, but the insulin doesn't know what it's suppose to do, so the pituitary kinda talks to the adrenal and says to send out some cortisol so that the insulin can get it's signal on what to do.

Consequently, a lot depends on if you're on the high side or low side...  it's not something you can ever ask anyone on here about unless you can say... I have Addison's or I have Cushings, pheochromocytoma, pituitary tumor or whatever.....

I hope this helps you out some....
You really have to self,Keep up with what is happening to your cortisol, my doctor forgets all the time to have me tested!- I constantly have to remind him eq yr. I went to Mayo clinic and had a booster shot (they called it) to stimulate my pituatary gland to start producing cortisol. Yet, eq yr. doc forgets. I have to have pain shots of steroids and can not do this if my cortisol level is tooo low. The doc office always says I have a great blood test. I get the shots and I find out my cortisol is 1 or less. Evidentally they think is great, is not so great to me.
Good luck to you.
Just curious?
I took a Cortisol Blood Test @ 1pm in the afternoon and it was
16.3 mcg/dL.  What do you think or is that anything to even think on?

Thank you!
Sincerely,
Susan
I to have a growth on my adrenal glands and am having severe daily symptoms.

Urine tests for pheochromocytoma are negative.  I have had 2 morning cortisols taken and are both at the bottom end of normal then another one done that was high.  I had a dexamethasone suppression test that was normal.  My endo ruled out addisons on these morning cortisol levels!!!!  They originally thought I had addisons though.  I have just had laying and standing Renin and Aldosterone levels done but am awaiting the results.

I have now developed bad orthostatic Intolerence and have a 'probable' dx of POTS - I am awaiting to be assessed by the UK's leader in dysautonomia.  

What are your symptoms?
I was at the ENDO FOR THE 1ST TIME...BLOOD CORTISOL LEVEL CAME BACK 4.0 AM DRAW. HE NEVER CHECKED IT AGAIN...AND SOMEHOW CHANGED BLOOD DRAW TIME TO AFTERNOON....TOLD ME I PREMATURE OVARIAN FAILURE, HASHIMOTO'S (THYROIDITIS) STARTED ME ON SYNTHROID .O5
SECOND TIME WENT TO HIM HE RETESTED ME BUT NOT FOR CORTISOL SERUM LEVELS!  WAS ABOUT TO FLY TO CLEAVLAND CLINIC FEELING ON THE VERGE OF DEATH....FINALLY AFTER 3 YEARS FOUND A LOCAL DOCTOR(PLANE WAS DELAYED TO CLEAVLAND DUE TO WEATHER) AND HE MENTIONED MY SCAREY CORTISOL LEVELS AND ADDISONS DISEASE...HE RETESTED MY AM CORTISOL LEVEL AND IT WENT DOWN TO 3.86 SERUM LEVEL ALSO SAID SYNTHROID WOULD AND COULD MAKE THE CORTISOL LEVEL DROP FURTHER!  I BELIEVE THIS DOCTOR HAS SAVED MY LIFE...AS AN ADDISONIAN CRISIS WAS CLOSING IN! WHY ARE SO MANY DOC'S ILL INFORMED!  i HAVE BEEN DEALING WITH HEALTH ISSUES MY WHOLE LIFE LIKE OPEN HEART SURGERY AT AGE 7....TONS OF AUTOIMMUNE DISEASES AND NOW THIS.  SOMEONE SHOULD HAVE CAUGHT THIS SOONER!  
I just came across your post about your cortisol levels and being hypothyroid. I have issues with both too and am trying to find a doctor to help me. So far not much luck.

How are you feeling these days?

Deserie
Just FYI - the person you are writing to is from a post in 2009. I am not sure they are checking over here or are still around. Some are or are not.