Adrenal Insufficiency Community
What's a "normal" range for early morning cortisol levels...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Adrenal Insufficiency.

What's a "normal" range for early morning cortisol levels?

Just asking about Adrenal function and "normal" cortisol levels for a 14 year old boy. I'm aware that testing for optimum cortisol levels is done between 7 am and 10 am, for blood work. There is also the "saliva" tests and 24 hour urine collection method.  ...  [More]

So far the urine collection test result was 29.5  (no range for normal given)
The blood tests came back 180, 256, 279 (again no range given for "normal"

I brought in my son because he was exhibiting the following signs and my GP said "off to the Endocrine Clinic (at the local children' Hospital) with you guys."

My son's symptoms were:  weight gain in the middle area of body, sound and light sensitivity, no or little capacity to cope with stress, very little body hair (at 14 years of age), very little stamina, cognitive delays that weren't there months ago, little muscle strength, has been on three steroid meds for years as a result of severe asthma, and more.

I'm fed up and a loss to understand why I was told I should take my son to the Endocrine Clinic for testing!  There seems to be nothing alarming about my son's early morning cortisol levels, but my GP was sure in a hurry to send me. He says he doesn't know anything about endocrinology ( as a GP) so I should quiz the Endo CLinic more deeply. The Clinic says everything is fine... but this leaves me about "normal" levels  Is  there some standard "normal" ranges that can be applied to cortisol levels?

Can you help?

Guy Emond
Calgary, AB.
ChitChatNine is having fun! Comment
1 hr ago
ridey777 added the Heart Rhythm Tracker
Jun 26
ridey777 added the Anxiety/Panic Tracker
Jun 26