Adrenal Insufficiency Community
high cortisol and prednisone

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Adrenal Insufficiency.

high cortisol and prednisone

I am having surgery on thursday to clean out the sinus cavity...YUCK!!

anyways...my concern is that they are wanting me to take a pred pak afterward to help keep the swelling down. I told the dr about the elevated cortisol levels and my concern with taking prednisone, but he said it would be no problem. Now, this is a ENT doc so I am doubting he even knows about elevated cortisol.

Do any of you have any info you could pass along or websites that I could check into this? I have googled high cortisol+prednisone and came up with nothing, really.

Thanks!
The pred pak you would take after surgery is only, usually, if it was like was I took, was for a short period and was not high dose steroids and was a tapered dose...

That being said...if you have tests for high cortisol, you may be sensitive to the steroids but you still may need the pred pak just for the anti-inflammatory uses - so it is a double edged sword... so you may want to chance the pred pak as otherwise you may not be able to breathe and it should be a short term steroid add...

I had Cushing's, had sinus surgery but my ENT was very up on adrenal stuff since his son had the issues so he was very good with trying to balance my needs and trying to breathe. I also used a lot of saline.

Have you taken any steroids so you know how you are?
Thanks for  your response.

I have not had a pred pak in many many many years. And my cortisol levels were not as high as they are now.

I guess is it gets to bad I can take a xanax every now and then? I have tried so hard to not have to use these, though.
BarbieDob01 emmadob Comment
May 22
ChitChatNine commented on Cindy's status
May 19
Bellastella94 joined this community
Welcome them!
May 16