Adrenal Insufficiency Community
hydrocortisone and depression

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Adrenal Insufficiency.

hydrocortisone and depression

i just read that taking hydrocortisone can make an underlying depression worse.  does anybody know if there is any truth to this?  if so, what other options do i have/  i tried dexamethasone once, but it made me sick.  i ranout of my soma that i take for my fibromyalgia today, so all i had was clonazepam--and i took extra because i was crying so much.  i didn't realize how much the soma was actually helping my depression, also.

how do you know what dosage of hydrocortisone you should be   taking.  i am on 30 mgs---but i see that alot of people are on 20 mgs.
It depends - people that have high cortisol usually have some sort of depression disorder. However doses that people take for AI are usually replacement, so side effects should be mitigated. Should be as some take too much - some too little.

There is no *one dose* people have to take more for illness, lifestyle, doctor preference.

You don't have to start a new post all the time - you have add to an existing thread. Most people sort by new posts and so the whole thread would come to the top.

Have you joined the depression community?
i have been under a tremendous amount of stress mentally and emotionally for a number of reasons--but i don't know if that has any effect on my dosage.  i was told that stress dosing was only for physical stresses such as illness and surgery.  but, i don't deal with emotional stress well at all---i wonder if this is because my body can't produce the extra cortisol that someone under emotional stress would kick out temporarily to get them through it.

also, with a chronic pain condition, i am basically always under physical stress---but obviously you can't stress dose all the time--so maybe the 30 mgs is better for me than the 20 mgs that so many other people seem to be on.    i have heard of people being on even higher doses---but i don't think that is very common.

how do i sort my posts to keep new ones at the top?
When you are on the community page there is a drop down selection above the threads - select "last post" and they will order by newest posts. I would rather you just stay in one thread than open up new posts - it helps and makes responding faster for me and others too.

Stress dosing is quite an art. Yes, it needs to be done for physical stress such as illness but some people get ill with emotional stress. I needed to stress dose when my mom died - so it does happen and people dose up to travel (TSA!!! LOL) but you need to balance as to do it do that you get enough to keep healthy without going over as too much is damaging.

Cortisol is one funny hormone - too much and too little can kill you... So if you are going to play - you need to be careful, but if you are on too much, it will destroy your bones, muscles, eyes, heart etc. so make sure you get good check ups.

There are a lot of other communities here - take advantage.
staying in one post will help me find responses easier, too!!! thanks!
i must be pretty slow witted---i can't find the drop down selection on the community page
how many of you are finding that your illness (or illnesses) are damaging your marriage---or are you lucky enough to have a spouse that is able to keep it together most of the time and be kind, helpful and understanding?   i realize that having a sick spouse is a tremendous strain on a relationship, but it also has the potential to bring couples closer together.  since i can't change how my husband acts or reacts to my physical or mental state---what can i do to help make things easier for him to deal with.  right off the bat, i can think of trying to keep my complaining to a minimum, and trying to make sure that we have conversations that involve other things than health problems.
however, sometimes, i feel that if i don't tell him how lousy i am feeling he will expect more of me than i am capable of at the time.  and, i have to admit that i feel a little resentful sometimes that i have waited on him hand and foot after surgeries and a severe burn----and he rarely does the same for me when i am having an extra hard day.  i guess there really is no room for resentment, though, is there?  it won't make anything better.
Page back from here, it is right under the word DISCUSSIONS (they did not make it easy!).

Some spouses understand, some do not. My own was having a tough time until he came to a few appointments with me and understood more of the medical issues - now he is much better and he even can pinpoint when I am sick sometimes when I cannot tell (when I go AI, I get confused and too stupid to take meds, not the best thing to happen!) so he knows and makes me take meds.
But is frustrating about all my limitations and we cant do all we want.

Have you talked to him directly about the extra hard days? It could be he had no idea? Maybe he just does not see as well, women tend to persevere anyway. Maybe you need to talk and set some signals up and some stuff he needs to help out on... and set up some easy meals etc so that helps out. I simply fall asleep so that is my hubby's clue.