Adrenal Insufficiency Community
major family stress going on

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Adrenal Insufficiency.

major family stress going on

we have been having major stress in our family for quite some time--but recently it has gone up tremendously.  I am wondering if this is a time when I might need a little extra cortisol?  if so, how would I judge how much and when to increase it.

low cortisol, I have been trying to folllow the dosing schedule you suggested, and I do think I feel slightly better---i have a hard time remebering the times, some days---i think I need a watch that can set multiple alarm times to remind me.

Today, because of the addes stress, i have added in about 10 extra mgs of cortisol.  I don't want to have to do this on a regular basis---especially since i can see this stress could get worse---or at least go on for some time.

What would clue me in to knowing that i need a little extra cortisol on the days when my body isn't handling the stress very well?

I had originally been told I only needed to stress dose when I was ill---but I have seen that people on here sometimes dose a little extra when emotional stress gets to be too much.
What clues me in:
headache
nausea
not understanding/confusion
craving salt
burping/indigestion

Your list may vary - so you have to know *your* body and your hints that you are given for your lows - which can vary drastically from mine.

I would try to up salt/sodium as salt wasting is what causes a crisis - and this may help.

I don't always stress dose for emotional issues - it depends. I did for shocks like my mom dying. But I don't for consistent things as I don't want the long term effects - I usually use salt and see how that works. Keep up fluids and make sure I get enough rest. Sometimes rest just hits me lol.
I have had headaches for over 13 years--almost daily----I can definitely tell that sometimes they are stress related because of the tightening in my neck and shoulders---actually, I think they are mostly stress headaches--but it is often more obvious when excess stress brings one on---hope that made sence.

I have a tendency to get agitated and unable to think and concentrate in the early afternoon---this is what prompted my doctor to raise me from 20 mgs to 30 mgs.

I have had more nausea and come close to feeling like i might actually throw up in the last 4 months or so than i ever have in my life (with the exception of pregnancy)

I do not ever crave salt--but i do crave sugar.  I also have almost no appetite whatsoever----I have to make myself eat.  In the evenings I will get the munchies--that is the closest i get to actually feeling hungry.

The biggest symptoms i seem to get are feeling really agitated and a feeling of stress that runs through all the muscles of my body--kind of hard to describe.  I have a hard time concentrating at these times.

I am wondering if the sudden appearance of frequent nausea is a sign of needing to dose better like both you and low cortisol suggested.

I have noticed that trying to follow the dosing schedule low cortisol suggested seems to be helping a little bit---I've also started trying to take a short nap in the afternoon--it is really more of a rest--I don't completely fall asleep.

some of this is thinking out loud and comparing to what you said your symptoms were.

I really don't know how to recognize low symptoms except for the early afternoon irritability.
Sounds like you have a handle on your tip offs - irritation and lack of concentration. Let others know so they can let you know. My hubs lets me know as I get so off that I don't take meds LOL.

Try some alka seltzer or brioschi or the like for nausea - will give you zap of sodium. I have some lemon fizzy stuff that is sugary and lemony to help stave it off when I catch it early.