Adrenal Insufficiency Community
saliva test results for cortisol, what do they mean

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Adrenal Insufficiency.

Just got my lab results back and not sure what to think. I would like any help.

Cortisol AM (took at 4am)                          17.3 nM     range  2.4 to 33.7
Cortisol noon ( took 12:30pm)                      2.5nM      range  1.2 to 17.8
cortisol PM    (took at 5pm)                         1.0nM      range    .5 to 12.1
Cortisol MN    (took at 11:30pm)                   1.0nM      range    .3 to 11.0

Total Cortisol                                              21.8nM     range    8.2 to 50.9

DHEA  (noon)                                             1.2ng/mL   range   0.8 to 7.5 ng/mL

I am currently taking 4 grains of Nature-throid. I crash in the afternoon no matter what I have tried. Also TPO anit-bodies at 111. I am on a grain free, high fat, low carb, medium protein dietary eating program (Dr. Davis's Wheat Belly Book plan). What else can I do? Thanks
Are you taking nature-throid once a day? Many find it beneficial to divide the dose to at least twice a day in order to spread the energy-giving affect of T3.

The adrenals produce more DHEA than any other hormone so a low DHEA is an indication of weakened adrenal function. A DHEA of 1.2ng/mL is too low. The normal DHEA level is 2.0 - 10.0 ng/ml, and the ideal is 7.0 - 8.0 ng/ml.  The normal sum of four cortisl readings is 23 - 42 nM, with the ideal being 34 - 36 nM. Your total cortisol - 21.8 nM.

Treatments for adrenal insufficiency include adrenal glandulars, B vitamins, vitamin C, magnesium, licorice (tablet or capsule) and in more severe cases pregnelone, DHEA, 7-Keto DHEA, low dose cortisol (cortef by prescription).
Why did you do the first test at 4am? Is that when you usually rise? Normal test time would be around 8am.

I agree about dividing up T3 - it has a very short half-life.

DHEA is a precursor hormone to estrogen and testosterone. If you take more DHEA (which is available OTC in some countries) it may help, but if you take too much it may just cause acne and greasy skin. It won't effect cortisol.

One set of cortisol testing is not good enough to judge and a stim test is needed to determine if you have a real issue - as well as adrenal antibodies, ACTH, sodium (after all it is a salt-wasting disease), potassium, renin and aldosterone etc. Normal sodium readings would indicate that cortisol is not low.

Having come at this from my body making too much cortisol and my body damaged beyond repair, I hope you don't take replacements if you don't need them.
Thank you for responding. I do split my thyroid dose. I have never heard of adrenal glandulars, is it a prescription? One doctor did put me on 7-Keto DHEA 25mgs but my body reacted by having hundreds of hot flushes each day. I asked if it was to much to start but the doctor did not feel that the DHEA was the problem even though when I stopped taking it the flushes stopped too. I just started taking  Cytozyme-F and Selenium +E on Tuesday. The label on the Cytozyme lists adrenal complex, bovine; thymus concentrate bovine; spleen concentrate bovine; and ovarian concentrate bovine. Are these the adrenal glandulars you listed above?I have heard of licorice and will try to find it today at our health food store and the pregnelone. I have been taking the magnesium 600mg daily and my multi-vitamin has vit B's and C's. How much do I need to take. And do you know how long it takes before the adrenals respond? I am having a lot of trouble staying awake in the early afternoon and evening and I am trying to cut down on caffeine but I have to stay awake at work! Thank you for taking the time to answer. I have learned so much from this site.
Thank you, yes I do not want to over medicate either. I started the test at 4am because everyday I wake up then and I wanted to see if this was the reason. I ordered the tests myself because none of the doctors I had seen would test for thyroid antibodies, freeT3 or adrenals. I have been told so many times that my blood tests were normal so I must be depressed. Even with a TSH of 5.62 I was told my thyroid was fine. I just don't understand why the medical community will hand out "happy pills" in the from of anti-depression meds like candy but getting thyroid help is next to impossible. I just found a new dr. and I am hoping she will be able to help me. This was my second cortisol test and yes I was low on the first one too. The spike was at 4 pm on that test not 4 am. My iodine was low but sodium was right in the middle of the range. Vitamin D was also very low. My vitamin b 12 was 1999 which was way high. I was not taking any supplements at the time but consuming mega amounts of caffeine to stay awake. I will look up the other tests you mentioned and if I can order them myself I will. Thank you for responding.
There are many treatment options but i just chose a few of the more commonly mentioned.  A brand called Enzymatic Therapy is an adrenal glandular.

Enzymatic Therapy:

Serving Size: 2 Capsules

Vitamin C (ascorbic acid and from rose hips) - 150mg, 250%

Vitamin B6 (as pyridoxine HCl) - 50 mg, 2,500%

Pantothenic Acid (as calcium D-pantothenate) - 100 mg, 1,000%

Adrenal Polypeptide Fractions - 400mg

Betaine - 250 mg

L-Tyrosine - 250 mg

Licorice (Glycyrrhiza glabra) Root and Rhizome Extract standardized to contain 5% glycyrrhizic acid - 200mg

Adrenal Cortex Extract - 33 mg

Again thank you so much for all the information. I just got back from our health food store and I will have to travel to a larger city or order from the internet because I could not find one item to purchase. Unbelievable how they bind the tables with starches and or sugars. I will go on line and find the Enzymatic Therapy. My energy drop starts at noon and goes until about 8pm. Is there a better time to take the capsules for this kind of slump or do I just take them first thing in the morning? Thanks
I've never taken adrenal glandulars so i'd say follow the label instructions. It took about 18 months to get over my adrenal insufficiency (due to severe vitamin B12 deficiency) and back to my "normal" adrenal fatigue state (no doubt due to my thyroid issues).