very high cortisol
Hi I am just feeling so overwhelmed and confused. I was diagnosed with hypothyroidsim in February. I started on Synthroid, then moved to Thyrolar afetr I saw no results with the T4 only drug.

I had major probs adjusting to the thyrolar, and I had a 24 hr saliva test done which showed such high cortisol that my doctor thought I was on steroids. I am not on steroids (and by this time had been off my thyroid med for a while) but I have been also tapering off a medication called subutex. My doc thought that is was possible the subutex was partially causing this high cortisol.

For the past month I have been on Seriphos and a natural Progesterone Cream which both are helping me to relax some. I take vitamin C, slow release iron, cal/mag, b-complex and I am just feeling soooo tired.

How long until I start to feel better? I am not functioning so well from the fatigue, depression and just generally feeling not well.

Will this ever get better, and is it possible my thyroid issues were actually CAUSED by high cortisol?

Thank you very much!
Yes, high cortisol causes thyroid issues - it is kind of a matter of finding the real source of the issues and well, the likely source of your thyroid, iron, B and other issues are the high cortisol - been there, done that.... I had pituitary Cushing's disease.

Find another doctor - and get more testing that includes urine and blood as well as expands out to include adrenal and pit testing (the other hormones) so you can figure out the source. It takes an expert. A Neuro-endo is best.
I was diagnosed in May with hypothyroidism.  I've taken several meds (including synthroid) and am now taking Armour.  Sometimes during the day  I have surges thru my body and then feel light headed.  I just started going to an endocrinologist who has ordered the 24 hr. urine test and more extensive blood work.  My cortisol level has been up and down.  One time high, one time normal.  I've had the 24 hr. blood supression test and the CT scan of the adrenals and all it showed was a fullness of the adrenals.  I also have digestion problems.  I have been going thru this for over a year and can't seem to find answers.  Hopefully these new tests will prove something.  It seems to me that I have a hormone imbalance but my doctor said since I've gone thru the change that all a hormone test will show is that I'm post-menopausal.
The post-menopausal can be a result of the cortisol. He is not looking at the source if you have cortisol issues. The cortisol can take the thyroid down too - been there, done that.

I was also cyclical/episodic with my Cushing's - some docs are not sure this form exists (as if hormones do not cycle, you know, like a period, *sigh*) so you may have a harder time finding a doctor. I failed all suppression tests. Mine was pituitary but my adrenals were huge too. Make sure you get copies of everything, learn, and get treated correctly - ie - the correct source being pituitary or adrenal. It takes an expert.
I don't even know where to begin. How do you find an expert
thanks for the info and for sharing your experiences- I still have not been back to an endo, simply because I have not been able to find one who will listen to all of my symptoms. I also dont have health insurance, so seeing other specialists at this time is a big challenge- but yes, it is very hard. I also have digestive issues (from what I read, underactive thyroid can cause that).

I am not post- menopausal- possibly peri as I am in my mid 30s?

I have the major depression symptoms, and I feel certain that some of this is caused by some imbalance. Also I've had some very stressful events this year which I strongly believe this can affect your health too.

Is it true, also that some medications, as well as stress itself cause issues with the cortisol?

I am at my wits end, but I appreciate any input- I wish I could find a specialist who will listen, AND possibly see me on a sliding scale!! ;)

Thanks again everyone!