Adrenal Insufficiency Community
what happens if 'm sick and unable to take meds?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Adrenal Insufficiency.

I was recently diagnosed with adrenal insufficiancy and have been on prednisone 10mg and florinef .01mg 3 x's per day and I was wondering what happens if you get the stomach flu and are unable to take these meds by mouth?

will you have to go in daily for steroid shots or a picc line and do them at home?
bumpin my post.
    If you think you may become too ill to take your med by mouth, you need to ask your doc for an emergency injectable, which I think is usually in a dose of 50 or 100 mgs. of hydrocortisone. You need to have a medical alert bracelet or wearable ID of some kind, for emergency situations.
Yes, you would have to go to an ER, or other doctor's office for treatment in the event of stomach flu, vomiting, or anything that prevents you from taking these extremely important meds.
Ask your doctor about getting the injectable, and show you how to use it, just to have it available in your home, in case of emergency. I read a report of a woman with adrenal insufficiency who's life was saved because her husband used her injectable cortisone on her, when he found her unconscious on the floor.

I will call my doctor Monday but I was unable to take my prednisone and florinef today because i've been throwing up.

so far no symptoms of crisis except some mild dizziness which may be just from dehydration.
Avatar n tn
cracker420 commented on When Your Cold Is Not...
Apr 30
Ladytruth01 commented on When Your Cold Is Not...
Apr 24
SassyLassie commented on I had no idea there w...
Apr 09