Aa
A
A
Close
341655 tn?1240372439
what happens if 'm sick and unable to take meds?
I was recently diagnosed with adrenal insufficiancy and have been on prednisone 10mg and florinef .01mg 3 x's per day and I was wondering what happens if you get the stomach flu and are unable to take these meds by mouth?

will you have to go in daily for steroid shots or a picc line and do them at home?
Cancel
3 Answers
Page 1 of 1
341655 tn?1240372439
bumpin my post.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
    If you think you may become too ill to take your med by mouth, you need to ask your doc for an emergency injectable, which I think is usually in a dose of 50 or 100 mgs. of hydrocortisone. You need to have a medical alert bracelet or wearable ID of some kind, for emergency situations.
Yes, you would have to go to an ER, or other doctor's office for treatment in the event of stomach flu, vomiting, or anything that prevents you from taking these extremely important meds.
Ask your doctor about getting the injectable, and show you how to use it, just to have it available in your home, in case of emergency. I read a report of a woman with adrenal insufficiency who's life was saved because her husband used her injectable cortisone on her, when he found her unconscious on the floor.

Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
341655 tn?1240372439
I will call my doctor Monday but I was unable to take my prednisone and florinef today because i've been throwing up.

so far no symptoms of crisis except some mild dizziness which may be just from dehydration.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Do you know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Answer
Post Answer
A
A
Recent Activity
Blank
musicfem joined this community
Welcome them!
Sep 27
Blank
tacolino is ... Comment