Adrenal Insufficiency Community
why faulty pituitary

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Adrenal Insufficiency.

why faulty pituitary

what would make my pituitary just stop producing adequate amounts of ACTH?   i have had an MRI with contrasts done and it showed nothing but what looked like a healthy pituitary---or at least it showed no signs of pituitary disease.
where is DHEA produced---i am low on that unless i supplement it.  i take 25 mgs a day.  my family doc said he had never heard of anyone being treated with DHEA---that was comforting  HA!
  • High DHEA (146 replies):
    Dr. Lupo: I recently have been having peri symptoms a...[more]
  • Using DHEA (4 replies):
    I have had a very low DHEA level since Oct 2009 . Has an...[more]
  • Elevated DHEA and low DHEA-S (1 replies):
    I have high DHEA, but low DHEA-S. I take 10 mg daily of...[more]
  • DHEA level (1 replies):
    Hi, My serum dhea is 10, my free testosterone is low, pr...[more]
  • DHEA (1 replies):
    Does anyone know what a low DHEA means? My test showed 2...[more]
There can be a lot of reasons - but I would ask too if your ACTH was done properly as it is a very difficult test to do accurately - is has to be in a chilled tube and spun right after the draw and frozen right after the spin. ACTH degrades in minutes in the tube so if the tech that drew your sample just put it in the bin, your results would come out lower.

DHEA is produced in the adrenals. If your DHEA is low that makes more of a case for adrenal source. I take DHEA as well and there are papers on taking DHEA for those with adrenal issues that contribute to feeling better and adding to testosterone and estrogen. Your PCP is probably not up on endocrinology.

You can combine your posts under one so you don't have to open so many new posts.