846?1293815154
Adult ADHD User Group
HOW LONG SHOULD I TRY CONCERTA FOR?
About This Group:

For adults who have ADD/ADHD, suspect they might, or anyone who lives with, loves or works with an ADHD adult! Join us in sharing your experiences, questions, and (especially the tools or strategies you use to perform at your best level).

Founded by Littlebeansmommy on December 31, 2010
44 members

HOW LONG SHOULD I TRY CONCERTA FOR?

Just started on 36 mg of Concerta (after 2 weeks on 18mg) after being diagnosed with ADHD primarily inattentive. I'm 36 and up until now I've managed to get by without meds.- as a teacher I always had the 'bell' and the students to make sure I was in the right place and prepared. Anyway at the moment I'm off work trying to finish a 'Masters' in literature and I've had serious difficulties focusing on long pieces of work -2000 words I can follow the thread but 5000 or more and I go off in a million different directions; also massive procrastination - 1 month's work done in last 3 months almost like I need someone sitting beside me with a gun to my head to make me want to do it. So desperate I went to an ADHD specialist psychiatrist and after making me fill in a questionnaire and speaking to me for 50 minutes; he decided I had the sort of space cadet qualities (circuitous thinking- diverging instead of converging thoughts) of the 'inattentive hypoactive (as opposed to hyperactive) dopamine deficient ADHD candidate' . He admitted he wasn't 100% sure (how can anyone be?) but decided to try me out on concerta.

The result is after two weeks I feel like an over focused 'zombie' but I can't focus on anything I actually need to do. I have also stopped going out so much and seeing my friends and feel socially awkward as though my eyes are burning a hole in people instead of connecting with the surface humour. Instead I've spent 10 hours a day wading through theses forums trying to work out the answers to some questions and educate myself on this drug/condition, which a) I might not have and b) might not actually exist on the scale it's supposed to and is perhaps sometimes given to people to make them 'fit' or conform. I've literally spent the last two weeks self-consciously observing my own brain activity as though I'm some kind of a guinea pig in my own experiment and got next to nothing done and I'm getting worried that I'm losing time (I need to hand in 30,000 words by end of September).I don't even get that emotional anxiety anymore which drives me towards my work or friends. So anyway here are my questions and I'd really appreciate it if someone with a lot of experience with ADHD (or anyone for that matter could answer).
I)Do I really need to be medicated (I'm from the UK and here they literally only medicate people who can not focus at all) because maybe my 'spaciness' is just creativity; and can be managed or converted into focus/productivity with exercise, diet and vitamins. So do I need meds?
2) Why do I feel so anti-social and socially awkward since taking them - flat?
3)Am I on the wrong meds.?
4) If I use this 'focusing' window to actually start on my work. Will I get stuff done?
5)If I took short lasting meds. would they wear off earlier and allow me be social in the evening. (I feel no warmth to people I even feel like I'm coldly analysing my own girlfriend at dinner like a psychiatrist!).
6)How long should I give them the opportunity to 'work' (I've been on them for 2 weeks)?
7)Isn't adult ADHD often connected to adrenal fatigue- and the stimulants actually make it worse?
8)If I do have 'rare brain waves' why in the hell would I want to have the same ones as everybody else? Surely thinking 'out of the box' has some value?

Sorry for posting so many questions. If anybody could advise me on this I'd much appreciate it. I took these pills to help me become more productive yet they're slowing me right down.

Please, please help.
Sincerely,
Desperate, 'robotic' and in London
1 Comment
Was searching for concerta side effects and came across your post.  Just started on 36mg after feeling nothing on 18mg. Was just curious your experience and if you found something to help you focus without the negative side effects you mentioned   I too have inattentive and have a very hard time focusing for long periods
LaceyAmber13 joined this group
Welcome them!
Nov 27
phagehunter joined this group
Welcome them!
Oct 16
bslcrussell joined this group
Welcome them!
Jul 16