Adulthood: Transitioning Into Expert Forum
Mother and son sleeping together

Questions in the Transitioning Into Adulthood forum are answered by Dr. Jason Greenberg, PhD. Topics covered include Anxiety, career choice struggles, depression, drug/alcohol abuse, job issues, living on one's own, relationships (parents/family), relationships (romantic), responsibility issues, separation issues, sexual issues, sexual orientation issues

Mother and son sleeping together

Help. I have an 18 year old male student staying with my husband and I.  His mother came to stay for two weeks for a visit from Brazil.  We provided a self contained appartment(which is part of our house) for her to stay in and a separate bedroom for the son.  The son slept in the separate bedroom for the first night and after that he slept with his mother every night in a double bed.   He said it is normal for mothers and their teenage sons to sleep together in Brasil.    They were continually cuddling, kissing, touching each other, and holding hands or walking along with their arms around each others waists. They said this is normal for Brazillians.  Allowing for cultural differences, we live in a very relaxed western country, I felt very uncomfortable about this, my husband says I just have a sick mind. The woman may be coming back for another visit.  I have two sons 20 and 25 I would feel very odd sleeping with them every night, we are affectionate, but not like this. .  I would like suggestions. Is their behavior completely normal? I have never been a prude , I am pretty easy going and accept differences.
I cannot comment on whether or not this is "normal" behavior in Brazil.  My question, though, is -- what difference does it make?  As you said, you would never engage in this behavior, and it sounds like it does not bother them to.  If you want, you could point out to the student that in your culture parents and older children tend to be less physically intimate as a way of talking about cultural differences, but it sounds like you may be better off taking the approach of "live and let live."