MJIthewriter
Read your journal - finally got a minute to do so. I agree that you do have writing talent. Don't let anyone squash those dreams. It seems that family members do sometimes say things that hurt when they are really trying to help.

Have you tried sending anything to a small publisher to start? Do you write poetry or prose, or some other genre? I am a fan of psychological thrillers and the slightly, but not too scary books. I also enjoy reading inspirational. I am reading Joel Osteen's "Becoming a Better You" right now.

Penn
Thanks. I don't know what urged me to click here. There must be a "God" out there. Funny because I was pming someone about something along the train of thought and Higher Power.  I'm not giving up writing. No.  I get distracted, yes... and those distractions can pull me away from my focus.

Have I sent anything off to a publisher: Not yet. I want to but I'm intimidated by the fact many don't accept unsolicited manuscripts.  Not to mention my writing needs some serious editing before I can think to send it anywhere prestigious. It is my desire to have some big name publisher interested in publishing my work, lol.

The second, even greater problem is I can never seem to finish what I start.... I think I have a story done, and then I go back and find stuff to add or change.  For instance I decided to give my character Benly a faded tattoo. It doesn't show up in my 2007 and earlier sketches, but I have added it in my newer 2008 ones. I'm also tweaking the story line to include that detail.  Even such a tiny thing like that sparks off an idea for a story of itself.

When will I ever be done? Or should I put, when will I ever be satisfied? That's something no one but I can answer...  I don't care much for poetry and unfortunately I have a hard time comprehending it.  The "poetry" I write is often in prose with no standard format.  Otherwise I prefer writing essays of my interest or stories involving whatever characters.
Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Work has just been taking over all my time!!  

You might want to send one of your shorter peices to a magazine to see if they'll print it. Wouldn't it be cool to see one of your one pieces in a magazine!! Can you tell I had once wanted to be a writer? I love to write, but have so little time for it anymore. I also love to paint - little time for that either.

Sometimes there are writing "contests" advertised. You might try that sometime too when you're feeling brave! Never hurts to try. As for the editing - even the best writers need an editor!

Penn
Thanks for your encouragment.

I love to write and paint. I like to sculpt too. Unfortunately space doesn't allow me to pull out the acrylics or sculpting medium (let alone finding places to store finished work), but I can use my watercolors.  It's an interesting process. Sometimes I write and then get an idea for a drawing and sometimes I draw and then get an idea for a chapter (or heck a full story sometimes.)  With contests I have issues trying to make deadlines. That's something I've always struggled with. That's something on my "to improve" list.  In the past I have won some contests. Nothing on the national level, but I did make the regional level with a couple contests.

I haven't found any signifigant contests latley that would perk my interest yet.
That's great that you've found the courage to enter contests!

I love to paint. I can draw very well freehand. Not a lot of time for it right now. I miss it. I also really like to read (John Saul and Dean Koontz are my favorites) and do crosswords - again, not a lot of time. I seem to spend my free time now on the computer or working from home trying to get caught up.

Penn