Adults with Special Needs Community
My Older Brother and not sure what to do?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to basic needs, caregivers, day-to-day living, education and learning, family and friends, financial issues, insurance, hearing loss, medical Equipment and assistive technology, motor and movement, speech and communication, transportation, and vision.

Hi, my older brother does has special needs not sure if it is ther right special need for this form. He has been in special schools and stuff and he is now 22. He has bipolar ADHD, ADD, OCD, tourette syndrome, PSD, high functioning mental retardation  and otheres ( what i hate to say he has cause i see him as a person). Well he has to get blood test for a med he is on that is clozapine. Today a nures called and said his White blood count went down and absolute neutrophils. so they were low and they were in the past do to the meds. He can't be lowered brings out some bipolar and tourettes in him when lowered just a little. Hes been on it maybe when he was 12 or 14 im not sure cause i am younger then him im pretty sure he was the first kid in our county on it doctors said. So does anyone know of a med that can do the same thing as clozapine because he is on abilify already too. Im not sure there is any other med the is heavy duty he is on. I know the doc said there is no other heavy duty med out there like that. Im looking for somthing simialr or less risky or 2 less risky ones they can put him on together at the same time.. I just want him to be safe not get wore on his blood test cause this has just been happening more and more in the past year and half and heas been on maybe 8 to 10 years so this is recent. i know my mom wants to try him off med becuase hes been on them sence he was 3. but doc say no so this is what we are looking for can anyone know of a medicine that works the same that is safe.    

Thanks from a worried yonger brother
Tags: clozapine, low absolute neutrophils, low white blood count
You can do some research on your own bring to his Dr and see if the suggestions work. A Dr can let you know what cocktail can work, and if he has a mental illness it is important he stays on meds and learn how to manage his disability with his mental illnesS. What state do you live in?