Adults with Special Needs Community
New to forum

This patient support community is for discussions relating to basic needs, caregivers, day-to-day living, education and learning, family and friends, financial issues, insurance, hearing loss, medical Equipment and assistive technology, motor and movement, speech and communication, transportation, and vision.

New to forum

I thought I would introduce myself. I am 22 years old, trying to get through college and have a year left. I love reading and writing.
I was diagonsed at age 10 with Asperger's or PDDNOS they aren't sure which, although i suspect I was lower on the spectrum because of how much I went through before that point. I had a ton of therpies since I was 2 and help from parents to catch me up.
Any questions let me know. I am basically here to meet new people and see how others survive.
Wow, I am impressed! Good luck with college. We have another writer on this forum. I can't wait till MJ sees your post! I myself am a big reader -  I love psychological thrillers and ghost stories, believe itor not!

Welcome to the forum, by the way. I look forward to "talking" to you

Penn
Thank you.
Hi. I just left you a short note and a "Big Bear hug".  I have PDD NOS. As far as aspergers/PDDNOS, they are very similar. The only real difference is the language delay with the PDD.

For the most part I take my autism pretty well. I view it as a blessing and curse in my life. If I had the choice to have lived my life without it, I would choose to live my life with autism. I believe it's given me a set of strengths, but it also has given me a set of weaknesses.  Some of those weaknesses have fueled my strengths and some get in the way.

Others, over the years I am learning to overcome. For instance learning to greet people and be friendly even if I may have had something else on my mind. For instance while I was leaving to a bus stop this Monday, a little kid hollered out "Hi-iii!" and waved.  I could have ignored the boy, but I decided to smile, wave and say hi, back. The dad seemed to be pretty happy. He greeted me as well.  I kept focused on my goal, which was to catch the bus.

I tend to dwell on my social blunders more than moments like those... That's something I'm trying to work on with myself. Rather than beat myself up over the blunders, try to focus on the successful interractions. This is of course an ongoing process.