Adults with Special Needs Community
very upset

This patient support community is for discussions relating to basic needs, caregivers, day-to-day living, education and learning, family and friends, financial issues, insurance, hearing loss, medical Equipment and assistive technology, motor and movement, speech and communication, transportation, and vision.

very upset

My brother has been in state care for most of his life my mom and dad couldn't take care of him.

The lady who has had him for many years ,doesn't like me talking to anyone about my brother and is mad because I have asked that they give him Vitamins B6 and Omega 3-6-9.  and mad that I want and EEG to make sure that he is not having seizures again because she said she would know if he was ,I know she has another one there that does and when I tried to tell her that not all seizures can be seen she gets mad . And ask that I stop the non cents. And asked me what do you think he is going to start sitting up and talking and doing things by giving them.

also back in 2007 I found out about laundau kleffner syndrome and told her and my brothers nurse about it and she asked me to stop talking about it because it wouldn't do any good.I also told her it could help safe another child from being misdiagnose and that I thou my brother was misdiagnose .she said what do you want me to do put up posters.

she told me to stop calling and bothering my brothers councilor and nurse and doctors and let her take care of him.she also asked if I wanted to take my brother fro a month and I said yes and then she said do you want to keep him ,and she said if you do then take him.I told her I would like to take him for a month to see him and that I can't talk to her because she always say's I cant take him out of state.she tried to say she didn't know I could and that it was something new and I told her that was not true.

Her husband did this last spring he was a good man and never gave me the problems she does and he understood where I was coming from. I didn't say this to her.Even the lady who helps her understands where I am coming from.Had a talk with her when I called to wish my brother a Happy Birthday a few months back.

She once told me  we don't live in glass houses and that my brother will never talk.I told her I will never give up hope .She does everything for him,so there has been no needed for him to do anything.

so mad .
I thou someone would have something to say and could understand where I am coming from.

I am at this point trying to see what I need to do to get my brother living with me and my family.And get him the help and love he needs.
you have not stated your brothers age or if the parents still live if so they have the say of some of how he is treated and he can have home visits also you do not say whether he is in a state institution or just where or is it a private family i wouil have to know more before i could advise but if it is state he has the right for a home visit and you may visit him take him things talk with him so talk with a laywer and you parents does he talk at all he should have been helped to help himself many years ago and yes he needs his family around him just what is his problem  i care  jo
my brother has been in state care since he was about 4 or 5 and is now 35 years old .He doesn't talk. He talked a few words when he was around 2 and then he just stopped talking. The state took him because my mom couldn't handle taken care of him and my dad didn't fight them.I was young myself and my brother and I just looked out the window and watched as they took my little brother away.Man this is so hard to write.

Both my parents are still alive and can't take care of them self.I am the only person in my family who has wanted to see him over the years and when I lived closer to him us to have him come stay with me.  I am his family advocate so I get everything on my brother.The hard part is that I don't life close to him I live in a different state.And the lady who cares for him just don't want to here anything I have to say when it comes to what I think my brother has and that it was missed may years ago,also that I want to try different things help him.She has no hope for him and says he is the way he is and that he will never talk ,does everything for him,so over the years he has stopped doing things by him self. The lady who plays as his mom keeps him clean makes sure he has nice clothes and does only what she has to for him medically because she has to.

He has not learned anything over the years, the things they try and teach him at the day program like to watch his hands after going to the bathroom.I had him for Christmas and new years before I moved for 10 days.When I told her I let him us the bathroom by him self and wash his hands she said oh no,she don't let him do that because he don't wipe good and that makes it hard to get his underwear clean and then she ends up having to by new ones.She picks his cloths out put him in diapers at night so in case he messes the bed.witch he only did once with me,because I let him stay up late and didn't put him to bed early,I told her she should try that.

Every time I ask or try and tell her things that might help my brother she gets mad and tells me to stop talking about it and drop it and to stop the nonsense.

I get so mad that they are still and have given up on trying to teach my brother how to talk and that this lady has no hope in my brother ever being able to do anything for him self.She has told me many times to just give up on the hopes that he will talk some day.Told her she can say that as many times as she wants but I will never give up hope.

I have let the state know that I want my brother with me and how this lady has talked to me. I am waiting on hearing what they need and my mom says  that she is fine with me taken my brother. My mom is in a nursing home and they are spouse to write something up for me in case I need it with my mom saying that my brother can come be with me and my family,

from what I have been told it shouldn't be a problem .

I worry about my brother ever day and seem now that I can't call where he lives with out the lady who care for him and also other yelling at me over the phone,I sure am glad it is over the phone because I don't think she would dare do it to my face.
I have worked in the state mental hospitals most of my life in okla and nebraska and i know of no state institution that turns a child over to one person unless maybe it is some foster care your parents let have him they probably told the state they could not take care of him as a baby and he was placed in foster care state hospitals have no room for small children so it must be foster care and if it is i think you are in troube unless you assume full responsibility, i know you love your brother and want the best but he is 35, and they have not taught him anything yet, so he has no desire to talk, or do anything all he knows is what they have taught him and to him he is their parents so to speak i wish that i could offer more help, he should have been helped as a young boy, and i know this is not your fault but if you take him, i do not beleive he would be happy changing homes after all of this time as she has known him all his life, i am so so sorry, maybe ther will be a miricle keep hoping and trying   and write anytime if he could only talk or let you know somehow what he wants you may write me personall if you wish and let me know if there is progress or not, it sounds like he could have been taught a lot, but some people only do it for money, i do not mean to be cruel but some do it because they love the people i am one who beleives one must try everything to help one reach their full potential, and this woman sounds as if she wants him this way, the social workers are a lot to fault for not stepping in and see that he had training or help walking or just checking on him, some foster children the stae have even ;lost track of al thy think of is the pay check and not the child some foster parents care some do it for the money sad as it is they would be better off with the parents, i am sorry again, i think that you brother was placed and forgotten go to the DHS and tell them how this woman acts, but she will not change and at 35 i guess your brother has no desire to change as he was not taught anything by thios woman, but she should listen to your concerns sounds like a nursing home the quicker they get you in a chair the easier it is for them, i wish there was some way to help, but by speaking out you can help future children so do speak out and say your peice i have spoken out for many mentally ill that deserved it, and all people deserve a chance to do what they can and he has  been denied that chance by the forces that put hin where he is and you are not to blame i commend you for wanting to help your brotherask the state workers why your brother had no special trining or place in some school or give a a chance also tell them the progress you made but if she has had him this long they will just feel you aline but tell them how you feel anyway, also many others feel as i do    love to you and brother and know that you have done the best you can it is hard to teach a 35 year old  jo
My brothers Councilor and State Nurse  know how I feel about what is and has gone on with him.

My brother is in a day program and they have tried to work with him on just a few things ,but the lady who has him in his home doesn't let him try and do things,she dose everything for him because I think it is easier for her to do so.
When I have had him I let him and show him how to do things that she won't let him do ,like go to the bathroom  by himself ,wash his hands .

I don't believe in giving up on people being able to do things,no matter the age.
My son has had a hard time with learning and has Seizures  that are not under control and that could make it so he may never be normal.I will fight for everything for him to make sure he gets everything he needs and if for some reason he where to stop talking I wouldn't just say oh he wil not talk again because some doctors or others have not.

I think my family and I would make a difference in my brothers life and that he will learn more from us and that I will be able to do more for him where I am than what he has gotten there. And I will never give up my faith that my son and my brother will be better.

as soon I find out we can get him the better he will be,and when I ask him if he wants to go home he shakes his head know,and it is hard to take him back there always has been.

The way his state Nurse talks is that I should be able to have my brother come live with us and that she is the only thing they have for him and knows that it is not right.
And I have told them how she acts with me and they know how she is.

I believe that if you are a person who wants to take care of people with special needs that you must have high hopes for them and want them to always do better and not just stay this is how they are and that they can't change.Any one can change if the right things are being done for them .

I have prayed for years and will always have faith in god that some day things will be better for my brother and others .

I have been letting people know things that my son has gone threw and hopes to help others.I tried to tell the lady and my brother's old Nurse and new Nurse that I think my brother was misdiagnosed when he was younger and that he could have been helped if they would have know this.I think he has  Landau-Kleffner Syndrome and the the lady who has him said well what do you want me or us to do about it,there is nothing they can do now.I said even if there is nothing that can be done should still be looked into and that maybe it could help other children from being misdiagnosed and she said what do you want me to do put up posters.And to drop it.

Once I get my brother I will make sure he is checked for everything .Just like I do for my own children.
did they have a diagnosis on your brother and if he knows you dont give up, i beleive that you are right and i hope that you can make progress with him it should have been done when he was small, but God bless you there are people that care and try and there are those that dont i will pray and hope every day that you may make some progress even if you do not you will know you have done your best i am so sorry you have all of these problems and i do hope your son gets ok and just keep trying you are truly a good man i have raised my family and lost some, and have had a long life, and i loved working with people that really needed me i gave my best sometime it helped sometime it did not but i kept on trying there are some good people still out there i just wish that i were still young enough to continue, but i still speak out for the ones that cant   luck with every thing  jo
Thank you.    I am a female and not a man lo.

They have my brother as being retarded and I hate that word.They also have him being Autism behavior .

From what I have learned in the last couple of years witch I didn't know was that my brother use to have Seizures  and they have not check for them because the lady said she cant see ant there for he is not having any and the last time they went to check he wouldn't sit still for a EEG so they didn't do one.

I really think my brother has Landau Kleffner Syndrome and it was over looked .

He is now going to go see a Neurologist because I said I want him to see one to make sure he is not having Seizures that are being missed.And the lady is not happy about it because she said she would know if he was having Seizures ,and I told her that is not always the case that some Seizures you cant see and she said what ever and to end the call so I did and I told her I would talk to my brothers Councilor.
I understand your concerns with your brother I work in a day hab clinic for development delayed children and adults if you have concerns about this woman you can call your area hot line to have her and her instution checked out if she is a state place she has certain guild line she has to follow since you are his advocate you can also get a lawyer and find out if your brother is his own guardian if not you might could get that arranged that woman should not be keeping you from him or his information he should also have a plan of care in which he needed to be able to sit in on find out what his plan of care is and is it age apporiate if not it needed to be changed
My had to send them info that they wanted.

as for the eeg the lady cancelled his apoitment the day he was to have it because it was snowing and didn't even ask his Nurse before she called and canceled it,she was the one who was going to drive them and to make sure that everything was done the way I wanted it.

I have left a Message for my Brothers Concelour today to call me or email me on how he is doing and how things are going on me getting my brother her with me.

Thank you.
hi my wife is disabled can not walk or talk no more emma could when i first met her she worked for me and my family in our group of companies  emma as to be bathed fed changed cared for 24/7 365 days a year 2 days a week she gose to care as i have more tha a full time job been a managin director i was payin fr her to be cared for and thay just took the mony never cared for her nor nothing i only noticed this when i pack her last bag about 3 months back and to come back with nappy/diaper rash not been cared for not been fed nor nothin makes me sick how can people treat a disabled person like that she is now cared for my stepdads girlfriend witch i can see her anytime in that 2 days as we all live in a family estate i ant finished with the care centre its goin to court and am gonna get all i can
its hard to see emma day in day out and when she gose to kelly and i know we only live across from my stepdad but its hard to see her go my wifes my life and if i had to give everything up this minute for her i do it