Agoraphobia Community
Anyone else fighting to not get trapped at home?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to agoraphobia.

My mom has agoraphobia and is on disability for it. I too fight with agoraphobia. I am trying hard not to get trapped and to get as bad as she is. I have days where I do okay. But then I have days where I can't go anywhere. I feel sick, I have diahrea, vomitting/nausea, depression, etc. Anyone else fighting the same battle? I get cranky when I know I have to leave the house. Doctor's appointments are hard, but working full time was even more difficult. I am a stay at home. My diabetic numbers even got worse when I was working :( i feel so alone at times.
I've had severe anxiety and ocd for 15 years. And i 've developed some crazy symptoms over years, as well as avoidant behavior. I've found therapy CBT therapy to be really helpful. The less you avoid, the easier it gets to get out and socialize. I know its easier said then done, but its the truth. I would check out therapy, you start understand why your feeling this way, and how to change your thinking. Exercise,deep breathing, and meditation helps. Take care
Thanks. I was in Therapy a couple years ago. At that point I lived in a two story house. We had a masterbed room that had a huge walk in closet and a big bathroom. I litterally got trapped in my room and wouldn't come downstairs much. My family brought food up to me and hung out in my room with me. I became diabetic that year. I am sure the lack of exercise played a huge roll in that. With my therapist's help I was able to get out of my room. They put me on prozac but my sex drive dropped to pretty well nonexistant, hubby didn't like lol. So then they put me on Welbutrin. That helped alot but now we are trying to become pregnant so the meds are not an option. I am trying to push myself. We don't need my income so I am lucky there, but sometimes I fear the lack of having something to do that requires me to be out maybe causing the agoraphobia to be worse? I find I fight depression A LOT!
well having kids, your are going to have go out a lot. So maybe going back to therapy would be best. Avoiding your fears with only enhance them. Thats not some old sane. It is very true for my anxiety, and any problem that your trying to avoid.
I have had it for 3 months now. i don't go anywhere. its hard. i don't want medication. I'm trying to heal myself with positive thinking and reading.
I have an easier time going somewhere if my family is with me. If I have to walk out the door by myself is when I REALLY struggle and sometimes cancel appointments. My husband and kids have figured out if they set my clothes out on my bed and talk to me while I get dressed and basically talk to me until we are on our way where ever, it helps. I don't know any therapists in my area since we have moved and my therapy before was free, so not sure we could afford it.
Have you ever taken any benzos such as xanax, ativant, or klonopin?  I have the same symptoms as you do.  Doing basic things is enormous for me and I get cranky if I have to drive somewhere further than 3 miles.  I want my life back too!  
hi im agoraphobic. how did your mother   get disability for this? i to dont go out and im afraid of almost everything cars ppl walking down the street im 25 from ohio. could i get that?
Yes you can. you have to go to a doctor and get diagnosed. They tried her on different anxiety meds which failed. It was very hard to prove she had it and it took a few years with an attorney to fight it through, but it can be done :)
I took paxil, wellburtrin, and prozac. None helped and I agree, it would be great to get my life back! I have family members that fought through it and managed to stay out and about, but I have had no luck :( I do know support and family is the key :) Sorry took me so long my computer was down.
hi can i ask you do you gets home visit from doctor? and what meds are you on? and is your sleep pattern bad like and can  i get sleeping tablets 4 this are you on sleeping tablets???? plz help me with these questions... in a bad place right now
I don't get out as much as I whould, but I have a service dog I take with me. Not only does she help me go out to the store and church, but she engages with other people so they talk to me, and it helps put me at ease. I suggest most agoraphobcs have a seervice animal. Mine is a small chihuahua and I trianed her myself since I used to be a dog breeder. She is very well trianed and can even go to restaurants with me and is so small  that may people don't even notice her. On the other hand, sometime people do and they love her. She is trianed to make people feel good, so she is therapy dog as well. She responds to me when I am upset and when I need to sleeplong hours due to severe pain issues and insomnia, she adjusts her sleep to mine and is asleep with me when I need her.
I had panic disorder when I was pregnant, and later it got worse, into agoraphobia, after I had a bad panic attack as a passenger on a bridge. After that, I went to the emergency room, but the stuck up doc refused to refill my Celexa from an old RX I stopped taking a year before- because I was pregnant.  It was hard to find a OB doctor who would be willing to supervise me under Celexa when pregnant. But I found a sympathetic doc who said Celexa is safe for pregnant women, baby born perfectly healthy. Celexa took away my agoraphobia.

But when you start on a new meds, people have to test the meds. You can't just stay inside taking the meds. there will always be the doubt if the meds will work or not. So after 1 and a half weeks of taking the meds, I started going outside to sweep the porch. Noticed then, no shortness of breath. So then next day I walked a block to pick up my kid from school and even talked to a teacher. Noticed no shortness of breath. So every day I went farther and farther. I did get mind fear, but once I noticed I could breathe, I realized the medicine was workng. You will not know if it works until you go out in situations that used to make you nervous. It took me a month to get the nerve to go in the freeway, on the Celexa, I drove a quarter mile, I could breathe easy. So each and every day, I go more far away from home . I even have a job now. Need to stay on this meds as long as I can.
I don't get home visits from my doctor unfortunately. I take Ambien to help with the sleep. I definately have trouble sleeping when I don't take it like right now it is 3:25am :( I am not on any other meds right now other than Insulin. I am currently trying to get pregnant and psych meds can be harmful to an unborn child.
I will have to check into that medication :) I probably will wait until after I have a baby. I go to dr in a couple weeks to discuss fertility.
Never thought of  a service dog :) I have a yorkie I got 1 1/2 years ago and I love her to death and she makes me calm and helps when I don't feel well :)
I am here. Are you still suffereing from this? Please email me if you need advice or support ***@****.

Cynthia