Agoraphobia Community
Having a Hard time with My Agoraphobia

This patient support community is for discussions relating to agoraphobia.

Having a Hard time with My Agoraphobia

I have had Agoraphobia for Year and at one time I could not walk out of my house with out One of My Safe People...Now about 8 years into this Illness I was able to learn how to go into the Grocery store and such...With a safe person. And Soon to the ones by my house, Alone even....so I made a safe area around me and I have Moved a Few times and I had to start all over.

Now I have to tell you that I think I have Posted here before, Not sure...But I don't Really talk to anyone about My Agoraphobia..I never really have shared it with many. I just call it my Anxieties or My Depression..I don't know why I just always have.

Now I am 38 days Off Methadone, That I used for the Pain Problems I have had. I'm telling you this because I want to give the Full Pic of whats going on with me.
So All My Feelings and Depression and Anxieties and OH YES My Agoraphobia is Full Bloom...Just kind of out of control.

Now I have started to have a hard time with People and not wanting to be around people...but I also know in my heart that I would like to be around People and I do have a Good Time , Most the time when I do get together with People.
But I hate to say I hate to go out..I hate to even walk out the front door..My Husband is trying to help me to even get out side and sit on the front Porch..  He set up a T.V. Tray and brought out my Laptop and let he did work in the yard and I sat there...I did not play on the computer. I just felt Out of Place out there...I use to work in the yard allot ...Now that was years ago and every year it got worse...to ware I'm ware I am at now...Don't talk to people much on the phone or in person don't drive don't Go outside of my own home much.

Which also means I don't get enough walks in or anything like that....and I also Know I'm living a very lonely life. But at times I love to be alone and Miss it...I will Lock myself away and keep everyone out..........Ah and I'm a mom

OK I will stop to let you write me back I hope
Thanks so much
Ladyrhea4
Hello Ladyrhea, I can sympathize with your problem, I, too, have experienced at times what you are going through. At times, I still don't like to talk on the phone or go out, but, I have to, I am a loner by nature though.

For me, the one thing that helped were two books, one is called "Hope and help for your nerves" and the other one is "Peace from nervous suffering" both these are by Dr Claire Weekes and are outstanding. She writes just as if she was sitting next to you and it is so easy to understand, I know you can get it on-line or maybe even from your local bookstore.

Another thing that might help is to just go outside, force yourself, I have had to do that, and it is not easy, but, I did it. After you are out, just look for little things in your yard that you like to distract yourself.

It is great that you have the support of your husband, a lot of folks do not have that.

Hope this helps some, and keep us posted, we are here to help you.
Hey thanks again for writing me! You are so helpful..I will try to get out of the house. I'm having to go some place today and its not any work sort of thing, it is me going to Ceramics with my sister in law and We are also going to lunch.

I am having the  hardest time to get up this Mor. and go and take a shower and get ready and then go and leave the house. Ug I'm hating this...My sister in law has No Idea how I feel or what goes on with me.
I hate to tell her how I feel..I don't want her to think that I don't want to go with her. Its anyone or any place and then to top it off I'm going Camping the weekend of the 26 and My son is getting Married on the 26th so we will be camping on the 25 and 26 go home on the 27...
So allot of out of my zone and then there are people, I don't like talking to them much either. Like I have said, When I do it , Its not so bad..but its getting myself there.

And I use to be a very Out Going Talked all the time sort of gal but threw the years and the People that have hurt me or the things that I have went threw has made me not so trusting and then to top it off, My husband is very Much a Loner and he is not into talking to people much at all...He is by No Means Rude but he could live out in the sticks and not see another person for Months and be fine with it...
Well Thank You and I will keep you all up to date..
Loves and hugs
Rhea
I have suffered from agoraphobia. The book mentioned above 'Peace from nervous Suffering' by Claire Weeks saved me. Give the panic attacks no time. See them through, when you don't react they will stop pestering you. I still find crowded places hard but about 8 years into agoraphobia and feeling better I learn't to drive. Hope this helps.
What you see with agoraphobia, once it first kicks in, is your life slowly falling apart in front of you. The things that were once easy and never really thought about are now the things that are stopping you living your life. Just imagine all the confusion inside of your head. As you try and figure out what is going on. Why all this is happening. Why those easy things have become so much harder. We have a head full of questions. Our whole world has been turned upside down on us. It would knock anybody for six. But the more we dwell on it and try and find answers by ourselves the more deep rooted the problem is getting. Hence it is best, if we can, to try and get help very early on. But you are no different from most agoraphobic or people sufferering from any mental condition. We tend to keep it to ourselves. There is still a stigma about such things out there. So we may suffer in silence. I know that I told nobody for a year. Lived at home and was able to keep it a secret. It is a common thing we do. I always saw it as my problem. I had to deal with it. As if I didn't need anybody else at all. As the years go on we learn. But I am hoping you can learn from us and there are no years of this. That you can nip it in the bud sooner rather than later. If you can't go to a therapist, see will one come to you. Some do make house calls. Just to start the process off of talking to somebody who can explain the condition fully to you and teach you ways to deal with it once you do feel any anxiety kicking in. Were I agree that going back is part of the answer. I would say to do it in smaller steps to begin with. Don't run before you can walk. You go for something major and you fall flat on your rear it will be harder to pick yourself back up again. You can set small goals for yourself. My first steps after 10 years indoors was the front garden. Simple. Nothing major. Then I began walks in my area. Just until my body and mind adapted to the new feelings it was bringing on. At first you want to run back in. Fight or flight. Flight always comes to mind. But by sticking with it and not running from those bad feelings you learn that they do pass just as they came on. It is a condition that can be beaten. But it takes a lot of work. Medication makes up 1/3 of the answers. Gets a person back on their feet. The rest of the work has to come from you. Putting yourself out there. Letting those bad feelings come on. Not running from them. Hence I say to start off small. You don't want to be miles away from home and feeling crap and wanting to run. 15 minutes to begin with would be a good starter. No matter how bad it feels. But you get the whole idea by now. We are always here for you. You seem to have a lot of fight. Which is a great sign.
Hey I wanted to thank you for the Message to my question that you wrote to my Message in the Agoraphobia and  Anxieties area.
It is very Helpfull
thanks so much
Rhea
Hey I have heard of the person above...the one to the book you said to check out. And I want you to know I will be checking the book out.
Thanks for your comments and support that you have given me.
I have been a little overwhelmed the last few days...and Have so Much to do and kind of hating it..
So I send my love and thanks
XXOOXXX Rhea