I've been inside most of my life
Hello i'm cat & i have suffered with agoraphobia as well as MPD's, PST, seizures, i came to medhelp because i have been on many meds what would be the best ones to talk to my doctor about cause i'm 32 and i would love to be outside more and have some sort of a normal life.
I'm with you cat.  It's horrible and I want help too.  I'm looking into taking an SSRI like zoloft or a benzo like Ativan or Klonopin.  I want a normal life too.
I am taking Celexa 20 mg. Here is what happened, I was confined to one room/my apartment and got short of breath during showering, cooking, eating, sex, and going out of my apartment. Agoraphobia lasted for about two weeks and a half, got cured after my Celexa kicked in after taking it for two weeks.
I have a long history of anxiety and taking medication for it. But I relapsed again in early 2012, 6 months after I stopped taking my Celexa Rx. My anxiety disorder came back again when I was pregnant, and later it got worse, into agoraphobia, after I had a bad panic attack as a passenger on a bridge. After that, I went to the emergency room, but the stuck up doc refused to refill my Celexa from an old RX I stopped taking a year before- because I was pregnant.  It was hard to find a OB doctor who would be willing to supervise me under Celexa when pregnant. But I found a sympathetic doc who said Celexa is safe for pregnant women, baby born perfectly healthy. Celexa took away my agoraphobia.
But when you start on a new meds, people have to test the meds. You can't just stay inside taking the meds. there will always be the doubt if the meds will work or not. So after 1 and a half weeks of taking the meds, I started going outside to sweep the porch. Noticed then, no shortness of breath. So then next day I walked a block to pick up my kid from school and even talked to a teacher. Noticed no shortness of breath. So every day I went farther and farther. I did get mind fear, but once I noticed I could breathe, I realized the medicine was workng. You will not know if it works until you go out in situations that used to make you nervous. It took me a month to get the nerve to go in the freeway, on the Celexa, I drove a quarter mile, I could breathe easy. So each and every day, I go more far away from home . I even have a job now. Need to stay on this meds as long as I can.
.
Hi.  I have suffered from anxiety and depression for over 40 years. My mom has it too, and my dad had bi polar 1. I believe that everyone who has these disorders is different, and we all need different combinations in our treatment.  It can be a long road to find the right combination.  I currently take zoloft 200mg a day, klonopin 1mg a day, and Lyrica 150mg a day.  But this is just another combination that I have chosen, and throughout my life I have had combinations that have worked for many years, then stopped working.  Mental illnesses are chronic, just like my type 1 diabetes, and my insulin needs have certainly changed over the years.

Be kind to yourself, see your doctor, read up on your options, and good luck!