Agoraphobia Community
Mild Agoraphobia????

This patient support community is for discussions relating to agoraphobia.

Mild Agoraphobia????

Hi, I am in my 40's, and am bipolar (had a tumor and the Doc's cannot be sure if the bipolar is "true" or a residual of the changes in my brain in the 20 odd years I had the tumor.) Not that that matters.
I have read descriptions and symptoms of what a person who has agoraphobia show, but slowly, over the last couple of years things crept up on me.

I am not AFRAID of going to the store or park or mall, nor am I worrying myself sick over what others my say behind be back to judge me.  I just dread leaving the house,  once I am in my car I am happy there, then when I get to my destination, I get a small panic attack.  Rapid breath, fast heart, dizzy, sweaty hands, IBS, headache.  In that order.  I go in, get what I need, pray there is no line, and get the hell out. God help us all if there is a line, I start getting snippy, then snappy,  then *itch.  Not happy about it.

It is like some one ***** the air from the room, not so much fear or fear or fear.  Became claustrophobic after my head was MRIed a dozen times in less than a year.  90 minutes in a tube with your head held by a cage would do it  to anyone.

If another person is with me, the panic never gets past the fast heart,  

Meeting my new Psych on Wed and just wanted a little feedback so he does not lock me away. lol

<3
Hey there,

I am diagnosed with agoraphobia/panic disorder.  Honestly, whatever the label, we have to deal with symptoms.

Believe the term is not used as often as it used to be....still, it is a fear of going out.  I have same trouble but more on the road.  Driving and making it through grocery shopping are challenges.

Your doctor won't think anything you feel is odd.  Try to relax about that.

The good thing is it is a controllable disorder.  Most of us have developed coping techniques and many of us take medication which works as a base but in not the whole solution.

Best wishes.