Agoraphobia Community
Some of my helpful Quotes...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to agoraphobia.

Some of my helpful Quotes...

Hi, I'm usually (never) one to create a post, I'm more of a watcher. Okay, here I go, I'm a housebound agoraphobic of eight years and about three months ago I began to write down quotes (from books, tv etc.) to help with my anxiety. They've helped me to deal with stressful situations and tasks so I thought maybe they could help someone else too. A couple of them I made up myself, here they are,

"Relaxation is the key to recovery" (when I'm super anxious)

"You make your own destiny" (when I'm afraid to get the mail)

"The best thing you can do is re-invent yourself" (when my self-esteem is really low)

"Don't let one bad day ruin your whole week"

"You have more power than you think you do" (okay, I stole this one from a commercial (:

"You can sit there and rot, but I'm going dancing" (says my much absent 'strong' inner self when I'm feeling sorry for myself or scared to venture outside)

Well, that's all I have.

Em
thanks erin, i use many similar quotes as well. I was agorophobic but am beginning to venture out a little more. my main quote is anxiety can't kill me. I am no where near where i want to be but have been watching Oprah's life classes online, and learning we are not alone and can lead a more normal healthy life by changing our thinking patterns. I don't do much by myself yet but with others i am going to the store, yard sale-ing, fishing, etc. so it can be done, just need to change our hard wiring a bit :)
I'm agoraphobic and I don't do nothing but sit in all day, it feels like its beating me, I've seen doctors and nurses but its pointless, its like they just don't  understand what I'm dealing with, people say calm down and take deep breaths, it doesn't work like that, then they tried putting me in work place meetings which  I clearly can't handle with or without someone, I drip sweat, find it hard to breath, and when I swallow my throat seems to get really dry I throw up, and go dizzy etc....I'm sweating just writing this in my own home.... please help or I need to talk to someone who suffers from agoraphobia, I get mad and loose my temper a lot, I just get mad because it feels like its controlling my life. I don't want to give up as I have tried self harming on number of accasions .....I'm currently taking propanonol and sertraline but they don't seem to be helping.....I really need serious help!!! This is the 1st ever post I have done, I just hope somebody can understand
Your post was ideal for me at moment as due to the 'emotional state' I've got myself into I'm not able to take in much information.  I came on here for comfort, just to know that I'm not the only one suffering.  Crikey that is bad of me using other peoples pain to make me feel better-I'm sorry.  I've tended to be more of a 'watcher' too, however your post sheds light on the idea that I may be able to help and advise others.
I've had a couple therapists in the past who have advised me to KEEP IT SIMPLE. I thought you gave straight forward small 'chunks' of advice, so I was able to take it in and calm my self-down a bit.  A massive Thank you to you! :-)  beanie0
I am here! I understand. I have agoraphobia and a major depressive disorder. I was perscribed adderall (adderrall) max dose, wellbutrin max dose, diaspine, for 5 years I took these meds life was really good, then medical will no longer perscribe adderall (adderrall) for me. so for 4 years I have been in my room, yes just a room. When I used to try and go shopping I would just sit in the parking lot unable to move. I am lucky the mail box is right next to my door.I dont get dressed I dont shower, ive gained 60 pounds I also get upset with myself because I dont like being this way and wish someone would just listen or care enough to give me something simular to adderall (adderrall).I am 51 and just want my life back, When I get really upset I have written all over my room, on my mirrior,postys on my door on my TV, I LOVE YOU, YOU ARE NOT ALONE, GOD
Well was very sick with agoraphobia I could not leave the house and self Medicaid to leave the house but that took a toll on my health I tried going to therapy and trying meds but didn't work cause I wasn't being correctly medicated or listen to till I moved to nj I have not self medicated and was honest and open with therapy and doctors now I can go out for about an hour or so before wanting to go home I know that may not seem long but for me it is... I still don't see what's the big deal about liking to stay home..