Agoraphobia Community
is this agoraphobia?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to agoraphobia.

is this agoraphobia?

Anytime I have to leave the house (not just for a walk but to be seen in public), if I make an appointment (like tomorrow I have to see the dentist) I AM SO NERVOUS, EVEN FROM THE TIME I MAKE THE APPOINTMENT!! Do you know if this is agoraphobia? Its not like I'm SCARED something will happen to me. I just don't want to leave the house....sometimes, even for walks.  But I get so overwhelmed, seeing the dentist isn't as bad as shopping but going ANYWHERE---I don't want to get ready I don't want to make decisions and when I get home I feel SUCH relief...you can't imagine.  I don't know what's happening to me.  Its like, since I lost my Dad and Grandma in early summer, I feel like I can't remember doing anything but sleeping....ALL SUMMER. Now the holidays...I've always LOVED the holidays and still do but its going to seem so different because really, I haven't gotten over losing my Uncle 5 years ago...now its like all of a sudden, half my family won't be here this Christmas, no call to wish me happy birthday Nov. 17th.  I don't want to take about it to a "professional" , they can't bring them back and anytime I talk about it to my sisters or Mom, I just feel drained, not better. If it wasn't for my twin sister living with me and sharing the same sense of humor and loving to laugh...I don't know what I'd do. And my cat, Daisy is a blessing.  Of course I'm grateful for my sisters and my Mom, its just that I miss the others SOOOO much.  Others have to go through this and I know this. I will have to get through this too but it won't be easy.
this is anxiety that can turn into a phobia of public places- agoraphobia
It sounds like depression and anxiety. It sounds more like its not leaving the house, its facing the day and facing the world and you don't feel equipped to handle whatever could possibley happen. Anything from losing your shoelace to getting into a car accident. Its depression. You're still in mourning and grieving so,so much. You;re right, a professional won't bring them back..but they could maybe put things in perspective that your sisters and mom cant so, instead of feeling drained..you feel a teensy bt better..and that keeps happening until you realize that you can run to the pharmacy or go meet a friend for lunch without thinking twice or panicking. I am so, sorry about your loss and if anyone in my family were speaking to me lol i would feel the same way if anything happened to them. Devastated if something happened to my mother or grandmother.
Iv got agoraphobia, and when people say its all in your head, it gets me mad cause you cannot cure it by just thinking I'm OK I'll get better I'll just go for a walk and it will be fine.... but it will not go away, there's more to it than that, if someone is afraid of the dark you can't just put them in a room with the light off, and tell them it will get better it doesn't happen like that.     YOUTUBE - AGORAPHOBIA....please....there's a couple of real life people suffering agoraphobia.....I put this post up to let people know its NOT all in your head, and its definitely NOT easily cured. And I'm letting anyone know out there who suffers from the life changing effects from agoraphobia your not alone.....even tho you may feel like you are.....its a serious anxiety problem, and its nothing to laugh about....and the people out there that don't have it stop telling me what to do like take deep breaths etc because if you had agoraphobia you would be flipping sure it doesn't work like that.
In a word yes.  That's how mine started.  It ended up getting really bad.  I'm still trying to get my life back on track.  What Britbrit said is true too.  Actually the 2 are connected, i.e. depression and anxiety.  My agoraphobia didn't come out of nowhere.  It's not a fluke.  I had serious issues from my childhood and then an emotional event triggered the phobia which snowballed like to a crazy avalanche almost over night.  Meds and a lot of pushing myself is helping out.  I wish you the best.  Nothing in life is every permanent...for the better or worse this is the truth and you just have to know that you can and will get through it.  But don't do what I did and just sit around and avoid situations.  Be out to kick this F'n disease right in the ***!  :)