Agoraphobia Community
need advise

This patient support community is for discussions relating to agoraphobia.

need advise

i have had agoraphobia for over 30 yrs now. i have tried everything, meds, therapy, self help  etc . nothing has worked. im housebound now and scared because i cant find any help. the econmomy and budget cuts have left the mental health system worthless.
i was checking the midwest center for anxiety and depression. is this a scam? has anyone tried it?
im housebound and at my wits end. the panic attacks are horrible, is there any hope to get well?
It is never easy. Spent a decade in the house. No up to speed on your health care system. I am in Ireland. It is just as bad over here. I think, with myself, I one day opened my eyes and saw all that I was missing in life. I would sit by a window and watch life pass me by. People going out. Doing simple things. But things I couldn't manage. Everything seemed impossible. Until I had enough of it. Got some wind in my sail and was determined to fight back. No matter how hard it was and how long it took. It's far from an easy road back. It is done slowly. Small steps at a time. With a few setbacks along the road. My first step was the front door. That was it. I would just stay there until I got used to the feelings it brought with it. I didn't go running out thinking I could take on the world. I couldn't. That would have meant a much harder fall. Where did I go after my front door? The garden. Until I got used to the feelings that brought with it. Nothing major. It is done at a pace to suit you. Giving yourself time to adjust to the new feelings each time you go that little bit further. I know it is the obvious answer. Of facing up to what you fear most. But the whole idea behind it is that you experience new feelings each time. Most not nice at first. You want to run. But the whole idea is not to run. Let the feelings come on. Experience them. The next time they will be bad too. But not as bad as the first time. Then they begin to get easier and easier. Because your body is getting used to the whole new feelings.

Keeping a journal does help big time. Of how you feel. Especially if you panic. What you were doing when you did panic. What was your initial thought. What symptoms did it bring on. You look for a pattern over a period of time. But you try to change how you think / react to the panic. Instead of ' oh lord I am dying ', you could say ' this again, this has hit before and passed and I was fine later on '. The hardest part is done by us. Medication might relax us some. But we still have to go out there and face up to what we have ran away from for years.

So, yes, it can be done. If you want it badly enough. Want it for you. I can go out and about today. Trains and town and the likes. Places I used to dread. But I still have my limits. But I am happy enough to be at least able to take a train to town and go into shops and not feel nervous at all. At first it was a nightmare. I expected that. But I stuck it out. Went in again. Used to actually take the train stop by stop. Going one stop further each time. Before I first made town. Slowly does it. I was doing what I thought was best for me at my own pace.

So don't think you are alone out there. Many more like you. Many more fighters. People who want their lives back.
There are mental health facilitys that will put you on a State medical behavoral insurance depending on what state you live in. You may check into that. I know because i am on one. I have no income. Check into all the recourses you can and pray. It took me a long time but i have all the mental issues that you have and there is hope! Just pray hon,  and dont give up.
I wish you well and God Bless

BeaAnn