Alcoholic, Living with an Community
Alcohol abuse DCFS

This patient support community is for loved ones of people who drink and are trying to quit for discussions relating to abuse, behavioral issues, caring for yourself, counseling, divorce and separation, enabling, guilt, and when to get medical help.

Alcohol abuse DCFS

My ex and I divorced 2 years ago. Initially, he had custody of our children. I called DCFS when I found out from our kids that he was leaving the children home alone - they found him "indicated for child neglect". After the guardian ad litem was appointed - through his investigation he found that his exesesive partying/alcohol consumption which caused problems with getting them to school on time or AT ALL was grounds for the children to come live with me. I now have residential custody and he has "liberal parenting time" with them. That was in June 2012. My oldest who is 13 (very mature for his age) broke down to me (crying and very emotional) and informed me that their father is STILL getting very drunk to the point that he has fallen down many times because of his intoxication and continues to party while the children are in his care. I called DCFS again just recently and they have confirmed with my son all that I have said to them is true. He even went as far as saying he often did NOT feel safe and was sometimes scared in their father's home. They have now opened ANOTHER investigation into their mother. My question is - that was a week ago. I haven't heard back from them personally and am expecting another letter (I guess) form DCFS to tell me the outcome. What can I possibly expect them to say? And what does this new charge fall under in terms of their findings? Child neglect? Child abuse? how is it worded? Please help. I can no longer afford an attorney and am waiting here with many questions still unanswered. Thank you for your time and bless you for offering your help.
I meant THEY OPENED ANOTHER INVESTIGATION INTO THEIR FATHER - not me. Sorry.
Hey Single Mom, i'm going to lose the sad because i hope in the near future you are counting only your blessings, okay? You had to close this one door so another would open, and you are on your way to a better life. It takes patience, but please don't count yourself out of a better marriage in the future.

I'm sorry that your husband is an alcoholic You mentioned that your husband was "partying" . Can you tell me, what you mean by that? Did he have people over while the kids were there?

I was surprised when i heard that a father got custody of the kids in the beginning. Did your husband have a better job than you? I thought that the mother usually got custody in the event of a separation or divorce. Is your husband able to keep a job then, or is he unemployed?

I'm not sure what terminology they would use, which is probably why you didn't get anyone answering that specific question. I do feel so bad for you that you're going through this. Do you have family to help you with the kids? I'm hoping this note finds you well and happy with your kids by your side.