Alcoholic, Living with an Community
Alcohol or Other Cause

This patient support community is for loved ones of people who drink and are trying to quit for discussions relating to abuse, behavioral issues, caring for yourself, counseling, divorce and separation, enabling, guilt, and when to get medical help.

Alcohol or Other Cause

I literally live with Dr Jekly and Mr Hyde.  My husband by all definition is an alcoholic and has been for years.  To give a better understanding let me give alittle background on him.  He has been an alcoholic for years and use to abuse drugs.  Little over two years ago he was in a motorcycle accident, and he was not at fault.  He sustained numerous breaks to his bones in leg and arms and still has residual issues including extremely slow healing.  He did hit his head that required staples but according to all tests there were no internal injuries to the brain.  He was on pain management until Nov. 2011 when the law changed and our family Dr. was not allowed to continue treatment.  Also during 2011 a MRSA pocket ruptured and it did get into his blood, he was IV antibiotics for a month or so and then they switched him to oral antibiotic and is still on it until they remove the rod from his leg.  Since the accident and up until he started back to drinking heavily, he was communicative, logical thought process and very6 clam and rational.  Once he was off the the pain management his became the oposite, irritable over small insignificant things, such as the grand kids (ages 2-5) leaving a toy out.  Irrational behavior and thoughts, i.e, i fuss about the house too much and or call him too much, and so he he giong to leave (next day after being sober or slept for a period 30 min or longer, everything is okay) Gets aggitated and upset when plans he wants are not possible (this can include plans with friends or family).  With so many variable it is frustrating to know where to start, instinct says to go with dealing with the drinking first, then focus on the rest.  Due to him being unemployable and the fact he is disabled we are still waiting on his Medicaid/Medicare to go through so we can get him back into pain management becaue no one will take self pay in our area, it is either with insurance or Medicaid or Medicare.  Looking to see if anyone has any suggestions or ideas as to how to deal with this or a direction to start with.  I am still with him because I choose to be and I love him but just so lost.
My husband is an alcoholic and ex drug abuser.
When he came off of the drugs he started drinking more, and his mood changes were extremely bad as well.
Looks like your husband became addicted to the pain killers, was suddenly yanked off of them, and now he's trying to get that same feeling by drinking more?
Not sure what pain killers he was taking, but some of them are just nasty...being highly addictive...and withdrawal from them can be very uncomfortable.
Did your husband have a concussion? You say he hit his head...was he knocked out at all?
My mom said that after my accident ( when I was 12 ) I changed quite a bit too. I have memory lapses/loss...long term *****. They did xrays and such, found no "damage" but they all knew that I had changed.
I was in and out of consciousness for almost 2 weeks...and unlike a hockey player, I did not receive millions of dollars...and I still had to go to school when I got out of the hospital. lol

Sounds like your hubby needs to see a psychiatrist to ***** the problem clearly.  Have you told any of the doctors that he's seen that he's an alcoholic? It's very important for them to know this...especially when prescribing medications.
Mine always lies to the doctors about his drinking. He tells them that he drinks maybe 2 beer a night if that. All lies. I told his doctor the truth and he changed his medications to adjust for the drinking.
Not sure about the States...but there should be psychologists/psychiatrists that help those without money or medical?
Sorry I can't be of much more help, but being in Canada, I don't know much about what is available in the States.
However, I am here if you want to talk.

However, I am here if you want to talk.

He has no memory of the accident or the day before, and he gets very angry real easy.  The medication they originally had him on was Methadone, mainly because it was cheap and he is allergic to one kind has hyper sensitivity to a couple others.  He has been very honest to his doctors about his drinking again and has not exaggerated to the amount either.  Of course I go with him to all of his Dr. appointments because he admits he can not remember what they tell him.  I know we only have a few more days at most a week before they give him the Medicaid here and then hopefully there will be some significant changes.  I have tried to suggest he talk to someone but that is one thing he flat refuses to do.  Why? I don't know,The other thing i forgot to mention in my earlier post is my husband also has sleep apnea, loud snoring and sometimes he will struggle with his  breathing, I have actually had to shove him hardand yell breathe to start  his breathing to go back to normal rythum (sp).  I just keep praying that he will realize what he is really doing to himself.  Thank you for the suggestion will keep trying to get him to at least talk to someone.