Alcoholic, Living with an Community
Depressed alcoholic husband advice :-(

This patient support community is for loved ones of people who drink and are trying to quit for discussions relating to abuse, behavioral issues, caring for yourself, counseling, divorce and separation, enabling, guilt, and when to get medical help.

Depressed alcoholic husband advice :-(

Hi does anyone have experience of having a husband or partner with severe depression coupled with alcoholism. I feel all alone and at the end of my tether. He has suffered from depression for many years but since the death of his mother 5 years ago it really has escallated . He has attempted suicide on numerous occasions. He always feels depressed-drinks 8 or more cans of lager per night but roughly every 4 weeks cant cope and has binges of up to 2 weeks constantly drinking - no food - wants to sleep al of the time
sorry didnt finish my question pressed wrong button on my phone. We have been married for 30 years and he has been depressed for most of that time. He refuses help and that is why i am at the end of my tether. Dont get me wrong i really feel for him but I have supported and stood by him for many years and just feel like all of this is having a really bad effect on my mental health - I am constantly anticipating the next relapse and i am badly anxious all of the time to the point i feel my head and face are going to burst. He makes me go get his beer and just drinks and drinks which now usually ends up with me having to call an ambulance as he also abuses the medication from doctor. I cant understand WHY i help him to do this and feel i am helping him to carry on this behaviour. His family dont bother with him and worry what will happen if i leave him but feel like its him or me. I am a really happy person by nature but after many years coping with a husband like this I dont know who i am any more and cant enjoy a normal life and everything revolves around him. This is just skirting around the  edges of my predicament but hoping someone can help me.
welcome and sorry late responses....i don't have much knowledge about alcoholism or depression but there are people here that do...have you posted on the other forums?  alcohol and depression ones?   you might get more info about it all there....good luck and try to hang in there....just remember you have to take care of YOU at some point...you can't make him stop, he has to want it on his on....and sounds like he needs to see a doctor about his depression because alcohol is a depressant and only makes it worse...which i'm sure you already know....hopefully you will get some insight on the other forums on this site....good luck!!  
Thanks for reply toothfairie I will try another forum. I agree with what you say about 'at some point looking after me' and that he has got to want to give up himself. Alcohol does make his depression much much worse and think he knows that but just cant help himself from starting the binge. It is so frightening as each episode gets worse and worse. I really just feel like walking away as these episodes are happening closer and closer together now. I have made appointments for him to get help for his alcohol problem but he didnt go to any of them which is why I feel like giving up on him. I dnt think I can handle the situation for much longer without me ending up having a breakdown
Thanks again toothfairie!!!!