Alcoholic, Living with an Community
Drinking a lot because o stress

This patient support community is for loved ones of people who drink and are trying to quit for discussions relating to abuse, behavioral issues, caring for yourself, counseling, divorce and separation, enabling, guilt, and when to get medical help.

Drinking a lot because o stress

Hi there.
my partner who I adore deinks because he is under so much work pressure, and he wont talk to me about it.
Please help
Hi.  Some people 'self-medicate' with alcohol or some other drug when they want to feel better.  You husband should really see a doctor, who can perhaps recommend counseling, as well as a mild anti-depressant/anti-anxiety med to help him not feel the need for booze.  Even if he won't talk to you about it, YOU can talk to HIM.  Be loving and understanding and let him know there are options that are much better than the one he has chosen.  Make sure he knows that you know this is just between him and you, that you will not discuss it with anyone else.  Also make sure he knows that you will always see him as 'your man', no matter what.  Blessings - Blu
Hi.  I can understand how you might be feeling with this situation, I've been there too.  Your partner may not want to talk about the issue with you because he is ashamed.  Men tend to believe they can handle what life gives them and later on may find that's not really true.  You didn't state if he is an alcoholic yet.  Does he have to drink everyday?  Does he drink in front of you, or does he hide it?  The best organization that I know where you can find help is your local Al-Anon group/s.  They are affiliated with Alcoholics Anonymous and are offered for family and friends to better understand the disease.  They will also be there to support you, but they will never tell you what to do about your relationship.  I wish you all the best.  Please keep us informed of your situation.  Donna10112  
An alcoholic's knee jerk reaction is to not talk about what's bothering them, likely he was never taught to communicate his feelings when he was a child, and presto, you've got an alcoholic. Keep telling him that you know that he should be talking about how he's feeling, and not trying to stuff it down.  It's a great idea to check out an Alanon meeting. There's meetings online if you so choose. You need to learn about alcoholism before you can help him. You need to learn not to be codependent and let it go. Alcoholism must be addressed. We're always here to talk to , on a post, or by private message. You don't ever have to feel alone, and you shouldn't be alone with this. It's too much to deal with by yourself. You're in my prayers. Liz