Alcoholic, Living with an Community
Friend

This patient support community is for loved ones of people who drink and are trying to quit for discussions relating to abuse, behavioral issues, caring for yourself, counseling, divorce and separation, enabling, guilt, and when to get medical help.

Friend

One of my closest friends has been drinking 18 cans of lager for the past 12 years,I finally got him to a doctor,they have done a number of tests on him,still waiting for a lot of them to come back but the ones he has had,he is anemic,his nerve system is failing,he is jaundice,and he is nearing cirrousis of the liver,he is going into rehab just waiting for the letter,is there a chance he can pull through this health wise if he succeeds in rehab,the doctors have dragged their feet with him because he don't wake up drinking he can go til one o clock everyday,so he is not classed as an alcoholic,but alcohol dependant.
Tags: friends
As usual the doctors were hiding their heads in the sand.  It is good he has a friend like you.  I hope this is the wake up call he needs.  My husband ended up with brain damage due to his drinking.  It is manageable but still scary stuff.  I hope the rehab gives him the support he needs.  Be there for him, but you have done your job..it is his turn to do his.  
I think that is wot scared him,the doctors told him he has to take these vitamin tablets and other tablets because if he don't he is at very high risk of brain damage,that's wot has hit home with him
He needed to be scared!!!  Let me know how it goes!
Hi I was curious as to what type of brain damage, your husband ended up with?  Was he diagnosed with wet brain??  My ex husband went into the hospital with stomach problems and ended up with Pancreatitis due to 30 years of drinking.  He ended up having to detox with severe withdrawals and stayed in the hospital for just about a month.  He now drags his feet when he walks, his speech is a little off and he needs a cane to walk for balance.  The doctors told him he has wet brain.  Was wondering if this is something your husband has and if you can give me any insight?