Alcoholic, Living with an Community
Hopeful insight

This patient support community is for loved ones of people who drink and are trying to quit for discussions relating to abuse, behavioral issues, caring for yourself, counseling, divorce and separation, enabling, guilt, and when to get medical help.

Hopeful insight

My husband has been going to classes for drinking however he does drink still and there are times when he goes out and gets completely drunk.  He calls me up to pick him up and sometimes he is just so mean, selfish, inconsiderate and only thinking of himself.  

I know I can't force him to stop unless he wants to however he is always promising me he will cut back until of course he gets with his buddies and then he drinks too much.   He thinks that I shouldn't be mad or yell at him but that is the only reason we fight is because of his drinking.

I was thinking and my counselor thinks this might just work, put phosphosoda in his beer.  Makes you sick to your stomach and well he will be on the toliet a lot the next day.

Anyone hear of this working before?
I know your desperation because I feel it in my house too.  I would not advise you to put anything in his beer because you don't know how it will affect him.  It could harm him.  Alcoholics already be dehydrated from the alcohol.  Upsetting his stomach will further dehydrate him and could cause damage to his internal organs.  I know he is getting on your last nerves because mine gets on my last nerves too.  The sooner that we face the fact that we have to take care of ourselves and let them self-destruct the better off we all will be.  Nothing will stop them until they hit rock bottom.  Sad but true.
I looked up the side effects of phosphosoda.. I wouldn't do it.
http://www.patientsville.com/medication/phosphosoda_side_effects.htm

Yep, when my husband and his buddies get together, it's a beer fest. It's really good he's going to classes. I pray my husband chooses to do that someday. I'm very sorry for your frustrations.. I know how you feel. Hang in there, we're all in this together.
Private Medical Insurance UK