Alcoholic, Living with an Community
How much is classed alcaholic?

This patient support community is for loved ones of people who drink and are trying to quit for discussions relating to abuse, behavioral issues, caring for yourself, counseling, divorce and separation, enabling, guilt, and when to get medical help.

How much is classed alcaholic?

Can someone tell me how much light beer a guy can consume before he is an alcaholic? my husband has at leased 5 cans per night maybe even 6 so he drinks from about 5 pm to 10 pm when he retires for the night, I am worried about his gout & a couple of other problems he is having, thanks in advance
An addiction is more about not being able to say no; the feeling that you need it to function. While I can't name any person I know who drinks/has drank like that and isn't an alcoholic -in theory it could be ok. HOWEVER that's a lot of alcohol and it's not good for his body and can be dangerous with is gout (and may have caused it). That's a pretty big red sign- if your drug is effecting your health. If it effects his personal life- would he rather go hang out with friends & family or drink? That's another red sign. And the last sign is if he feels like he needs it to function- a dependency upon it. Does going without it cause him to have some of the withdrawal symptoms of pain, anxiety, shakes, nausea, or mood swings? Those are the most obvious signs of an addiction.

Personally I think you need to talk to him about it. Gout is a nasty painful disease and this alcohol- addiction or desire is probably making it worse. While I'm unsure if it's life threatening, he needs to see that his choice of drink is effecting his livelihood. If you feel that it's an addiction maybe try to convince him to go to an AA meeting. He doesn't have to say he's an alcoholic, heck he doesn't have to say anything. But if you can convince him to sit there and listen maybe he might here some similarities and start to question his habit.

I will warn you though, when it comes down to it an addiction can only be beaten by a strong desire to quit. No one can force that upon an addict they have to find that desire and strength themselves.
Thank you ducky406, he is a wonderfull husband with the most sweetest nature of any man I know but he comes home from work as soon as he walks in the door he grabs a can of beer.It is very hard to say something about it when he doesn't really do anything wrong. I am going to the doctor this week so I will speak to her & see if this is elavating his gout. If so he will have to make some changes. He has lied about it to the docter so I will tell her exactly how much he does have & go from there. Appreciate your help :)
Talking to the dr seems like a very good place to start. It's best for him to try to see just what this is doing to his body. Good luck!