Alcoholic, Living with an Community
Spouse is recovering from medically induced alcohol withdrawals

This patient support community is for loved ones of people who drink and are trying to quit for discussions relating to abuse, behavioral issues, caring for yourself, counseling, divorce and separation, enabling, guilt, and when to get medical help.

my husband recently went to hospital for a medical problem and whilst he was there our doctor advised him that his liver is failing .He has abused alcohol since he was 17 yrs old.He is now 72.He agreed to treatment for alcohol withdrawals. I was in shock to see the process.It was very very much like a horror show.I couldn't believe what I was seeing him go through.Some of the professionals said that it was the worst case of DT's they had seen.After 8 days in the first hospital, they  could not handle his agressiveness while he was being treated.He was transferred to another facility for treatment.He was too severe for them also.They advised me that they wanted to put him on antipsychotic drugs.I adamently disagreed.I didn't want him to be treated with those kinds of drugs.I think they did however.I was told he wouldn't cooperate and that I should come and get him.So, I did.
He is home now and he is still having hallucination flashbacks.He is accusing me of having a boyfriend and even says he knows that I am sleeping with this boyfriend.Of course I am not.I am 65 yrs old and have always been faithful wifeI am concerned that he may never recover his normal way of thinking.Will this all pass as soon as the affects of the drugs that were administered to him while in detox treatment are out of his body? He was given intravenously Ativan and librium as he was getting over the hump as protocol for his therapy at the first hospital.He is very insistant that some of the hallucinations he had at that time are true.It scares me think that he may never regain his "right" mind.I have home nurses and physical therapists coming here to monitor his vitals and such.I am just concerned that he may not ever have his right frame of mind again.Is this possible?
I would get him to another doctor asap. I am not sure what they did to your husband but I can tell you that does not seem right. It sounds to me like he was not only withdrawling from the alcohol, but he maybe having a reaction to the medication. To me it is just not a chance I would take.