Alcoholic, Living with an Community
breathing pains

This patient support community is for loved ones of people who drink and are trying to quit for discussions relating to abuse, behavioral issues, caring for yourself, counseling, divorce and separation, enabling, guilt, and when to get medical help.

breathing pains

i was drinking with my buddies last night and i had a hang over, i threw up this morning, couldn't even hold a cup of water, and now after throwing up i have a pain in the left side of my neck close to my collar bone and only hurts when i breath, what do i do?
As an ex bartender with experience, first things first, relax. The pain you have may be due to vomiting. Most likely have a pulled or strained muscle. As far as the vomiting goes, and time you drink too much and get drunk its pretty much considered poisoning. And you brain tells you to throw up to rid itself of the poisons of it. Bodys deffence to it. Try sipping on chicken broth. Eat crackers. Go buy yourself a bottle of pediolite. (Yea the stuff you give kids when they are sick) it helps restore your electrolite and rehydrate you from that party the night before. And another thing, DON'T DRINK SO MUCH next time. If there is a next time stay away from the sugary stuff. It all turns to sugar anyway but let say you were dinking andthing mixed with juices or sodas or sweet liquors, for every one you have drink a glass of water between. Or stick to your basic (if you like it) jack and water. Or something on the rocks. Just get the water intake! And NEVER mix your booze! Major party foul. But honestly, don't drink anymore. That's what this forum is for. For people who live with alcoholic or those in recovery. Food for thought: alcohol addiction is a very slow, painful death, not just for you but those around you. Be smart
The fact that it hurts when you breathe makes me think that you should go to your doctor. Also, Medhelp has an Expert Forum on the right side of the page, and you can ask a doctor there and they'll get back to you in a couple of days. There is no alcoholic forum, or breathing/lung function forum on the Expert side, but there is an addictions forum. It does sound like it could be a strained muscle, and if so, it might take a few days to settle down and heal.  Please stop drinking so much and don't make yourself sick. It's not a requirement to get hammered and sick when you socialize you know sweetie? The thing is, it's a hard habit to break and often ends badly in alcoholism. I'm an alcoholic that didn't get sober until my 40's. Nobody knows whose going to have their life ruined by the stuff, there's no warning, and only control can save you. If you can't control your drinking where you don't get drunk, it means you're already an alcoholic.  Take it from a person whose got HepC and Cirrhosis, substance abuse when your younger often ends badly. It's just not worth risking your health over. Please try to socialize while controlling your use. A partner, finds that really attractive, just in case you're looking. And your friends will get used to you relatively sober, they'll even come to admire and rely on it. Take care, it's a new year, please consider not getting drunk or one day you may  very well wish you would have. This time, your hungover, next time you could be wet brain, or dead. Bad things happen to drunks all the time. Research it if you don't believe me.
I haven't got the just of this forum or the logistics. I kind of wanted to start a new thread but I need to find someone with a similar dilemma. I met a buddy in AA over a decade ago and I thought I was going to loose my mind.  I know the three "C's"  I didn't cause it; can't control it; can't cure it...

I have been watching it wax and wane... and over the past twenty some years the only thing I have totally abstained from is the alcohol.  The most recent setback was 9 years ago when I had a car accident and ended up in the hospital for a week on pain management.  I had strong motivation to get off the drugs and stop using marijuana.

I am on 5 or 6 medications for my mental health and decided to ask my doctor for something to treat tension headaches.  I was on Benzos when I moved here and got off those.  They both started with a "B" and I took them before.... butalbital. Not so good.  I don't care about the drinking.  Its all the games.  Poor me Poor me.  Hang my head over the bowl... He won't lift a finger to do any of the housework or cut the grass.  But I am the drug addict? Why do you go to those meeting?

He thinks he can smoke 5 packs of cigarettes and two fifths and blame it on his friends.  The girl friend is just as obnoxious as he  and she picks up our telephone and calls the police if she doesn't get her way.  I told her this was my house and she was an invited guest.  If she didn't like it there was the door.  Sometimes she is on her best behavior if my Dad is visiting. She barfs over the porch rail if she makes it to the door.  She has to drive by three stores to get here but asks me to go to the store for her when she arrives so I can leave them alone in the house when she gets here.

There are other girls around here from time to time, so the boys come around too and most of them don't tell their spouses they are at my house. They want me to cover and say they went to the meeting sometimes. My buddy is the only one that really needs the meetings.  I go to get out of the house.  We are all well into our forties and behave like we are going on 15.