Alcoholic, Living with an Community
chronic alcoholism

This patient support community is for loved ones of people who drink and are trying to quit for discussions relating to abuse, behavioral issues, caring for yourself, counseling, divorce and separation, enabling, guilt, and when to get medical help.

chronic alcoholism

My wife has been a heavy drinker for years and refuses to stop. Last week she suddenly lost her short term memory. I took her to the hospital emergency room and after a day of tests the doctor gave us the news I'd been dreading. She has Korsikoff syndrome, which is end stage alcoholism. She was told that if she didn't give up drinking she would at best die but more likely get full blown dementia at the age of 51.  When we came out of the consulting room I asked her how she felt about it. She had no idea what I was talking about. I've just booked her an appointment with a rehab service for detox and thiamine medication.
  My question is.. How can you council somebody through detox and abstinence when they can't remember anything? I've been told that she could get some of her memory back but that could take anything up to a year.
I don't have an answer but I want to say I'm sorry for what you and your wife are going through. It must be very difficult. You sound like a very loving, caring, and supportive husband and it's great you are there for her. I hope that it gets better for the two of you and she heals. God bless.
I would think her memory should start improving once she detoxes. Good job, on getting her into recovery. It sure did help me. Best Wishes.
I'm sorry to hear about your wife.. Don't worry take her to the rehab center they will take care her about her detox and you take care of her and make her remember the sweetest things happen between you both...
Praying for you both and the best possible outcome. Fee  free to message me - been there done that.
Mendingnow