Alcoholic, Living with an Community
how to motivate yourself

This patient support community is for loved ones of people who drink and are trying to quit for discussions relating to abuse, behavioral issues, caring for yourself, counseling, divorce and separation, enabling, guilt, and when to get medical help.

how to motivate yourself

How do you motivate yourself to leave? I am receiving counseling,attending al-anon, and seeing doctors.My alcoholic husband of 15 years has been getting worse and worse since his sister was murdered..Last summer I found out the not so nice way he had been trying to sell my "services" ..I filed a police report.He consequently called our family doctor and went on  a character defamation tangent about me.Another example he and his drunk buddies decided to replace the element in the hot water heater..they took the hose for draining and whipped it around flooding the basement.I am disabled and only able to do so much.He yelled at me and called his elderly relatives ( in their 80"s) to come clean the basement.When I intervened he yelled at me so viciously I ran into the bedroom trying to find something to defend myself with...I was in such a panic I forgot my cell phone was right there.I could go on and on with incidents of bizarre ,inexplicable behavior.I am checking into housing by my daughter and her family, 3 hours away.There is one to two year waiting list.Meantime I would be on a fixed income waiting if I lived in a regular apartment setting.How do you motivate yourself things are going so slow right now..I feel overwhelmed.
Wow you need out like now.that's insane and I'm so sorry this happens.
Find faith. And cling to it. Know tomorrow bring another day and new opportunities and a Mich better life. May not come without a fight but in this life we must deside for ourselves on them fight we need to take. Results may not happen over night but they will! That's motivation enough. Knowing that with every down there is an up. I had a friend I highschool he was actually the drum major of our marching band he sat down and talked to me. He said to think of life as a long hiking trip. Every corner you turn you have different land scape to take in. And along that path you have hurdles you must concure. There are small hill and giant mountains. the shortest path isn't challenging enough so you take them tougher on come to find its full of rocks and stickery bushes you have to push through all the way to them top. You are cut and bruised bloody from head to toe from the fight. But at them end you look around and see a breath take scene of wild life and life you never seen before. And realize the pain and suffering you wentthru was worth it in there end. Your scares remind you of their fight that changed your life and made you stronger..

Sorry it was long. But they visual helped and still helps me to this day. I hope everything goes ok. I'll keep you in prayer.
It sounds like an intolerable situation for sure. If you want to talk about it, please feel free to message me anytime, my first husband was an alcoholic, and I had to leave him years ago. I then became an alcoholic myself, so i see it from both sides now. If your husband is unable to get help for himself, it's only going to get worse. Liz