is my husband an alcoholic
I am sure my husband is secretly drinking or taking drugs. I say drugs because I cannot smell alcohol on him. He will go out in the garden away from my sight and smoke a cigar. He would be normal when he goes into the garden but wobbly and sluring when he comes back inside. Is the cigar possibly covering up his breath. At a party recently he was seen drinking double brandies whilst getting a lager on several accasions. Is he pulling the wool over my eyes.
Probably,  mine hides bottle all over the house, you might want to start looking.   Vodka does not have a smell.
I used to hide alcohol everywhere and sneak drinks all the time. The cigar may be to cover his breath, a lot of people smoke thinking it covers the smell of booze. There are also "Primo" cigars, cut open, filed with pot and cocaine. I say that only because you mentioned drugs. Have you come out and asked him? Are there pharmaceuticals in the house? Have you looked all over to see if you could find 'evidence'? Addicts are so sneaky, trust your gut my friend.
If he's fine going out, and appears intoxicated when coming back. It sounds like he's using something and does not want you to know about it. I'm sure the best way of dealing with this. But probably trying to have a honest conversation with him about it. If he gets all defensive, and does not really answer your questions except a simple no, it can be tough for him to admit it. People are ashamed, and are not ready to stop. I hope everything works it out. Take care
It sound like he probably is TRYING to pull the wool over your eyes, but your gut is not falling for it. Thank God for that. I agree, check out everthing you can to find evidence that this is happening, but I agree, Let him know you know that something is up and gage his reaction. I'm sorry that you are dealing with this, keep posting, it helps to have other people acknowledge your pain over this.  You probably would get some good advice by going to Al-Anon and checking in. Couldn't hurt right? Some more ideas as to how to handle outing this situation. You both deserve the best, and possible alcoholism and drug abuse is going to be difficult for you for some time. Please know that we are here for you, in the interim, until this condition is reversed. God Bless your family. Hugs. Liz