Alcoholic, Living with an Community
kids of an alcoholic

This patient support community is for loved ones of people who drink and are trying to quit for discussions relating to abuse, behavioral issues, caring for yourself, counseling, divorce and separation, enabling, guilt, and when to get medical help.

kids of an alcoholic

has anyone with children left an alcoholic?  what happened to the kids?  I left my husband a year and a half ago and my attorney told me to bring pics and stuff like that, but he ended up getting the kids unsupervised every other weekend.  I immediately took him back because i was scared for the safety of my kids.  I can guarantee if the smoke alarm went off, he would not wake up.  He doesnt take care of them at all, I cant guarantee they would even eat.  My two year old who is in a crib, my husband has never gotten him out of the crib,  I can see him sitting in the crib the entire weekend.  I want to leave again for good, but I fear for my kids to be alone with him.  On one hand, I want to protect them and get them away from him, leave him, on the other I want to protect them but that means to stay.  this is just a terrible way to live!  any suggestions??
I would talk to a lawyer and see if you could get a hearing with a different judge...one that understands how alcoholics work.
Let the judge know that he does stuff like this, and demand that he have supervised visits only.
I can't leave my little guy alone with hubby either...he'll drink until he passes out ( which he did on two occasions) and then the little one is on his own until I get back.
I never go anywhere any more...just sit at home or take the little guy with me.
I'm the child of an alcoholic... My mom recorded everything in a note book..to include times and dates, took pictures of everything... Then went to court, she had a lot to lose, half of her military pension... She told my dad, you don't pursue I won't hold them from you, you can come to see the kids at my home, and I won't take you for child support.. She struggled...but she won the safety and security of her kids...