Alcoholic, Living with an Community
need advise

This patient support community is for loved ones of people who drink and are trying to quit for discussions relating to abuse, behavioral issues, caring for yourself, counseling, divorce and separation, enabling, guilt, and when to get medical help.

need advise

My son is 24 and presently in a detox facility after ending up in the hopital for panceatitis.Last year he was in the hospital for alcohol poisoning, ending up in the same detox center.The doctors told him that if he doesn"t stop drinking his pancreas with "blow up".He is resisting going into a treatment program,arguing that the day program,the same one he tried last time,is all he needs to recover.I am very concerned about his physical and mental well being and that he doesn't seem to take this seriously! I'm considering having him "sectioned" if he doesn't follow through with a halfway house or rehab facility.I don't want to see him die from this disease. I would appreciate any advise,thanks!
I say get the court order if you can.  He quite obviously needs inpatient care with his pancreas poised and ready to digest itself.  Alcoholics can and do die from pancreatitis. Seems like most people are aware of liver damage from drinking but the pancreas is even more vulnerable and likely to cause problems.  It's such a sensitive organ that one more drink may be all it takes to send your son over the cliff and into death.

It's pretty difficult to have someone committed against his will so you'll need legal advice and assistance.  Without a court order, your son can walk out of rehab any time he wants.  Frankly, I wouldn't give him a chance to prove himself again with outpatient care.  He's already proven that it isn't enough and followup is impossible for him.  Sick as he is, it's time for the rubber to meet the road and get down to business.
This is definitely a crucial issue and beyond someone just abusing alcohol as this is turning into an extreme physical addiction that means life or death.  Aftercare would be the only safety net that he would have to maintain his recovery.  Keep us posted on this, we are here for you.